Chapter Four

EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED

When morning came I woke up to an extremely loud knock at the door - the dorm mistress came round every day at 6:45 am to ready us for the 7:30 breakfast call. Normally I would just take some fruit and eat in my room, but on Thursdays it was pancakes - and there was no way I was missing those.

Sitting in the dining room - it was obvious who had been at Miles' party the night before; the vast majority had hoods pulled over their heads, and those who didn't had dark bags under their eyes. Originally I'd sat on my own and chosen a table towards the back of the room - but Jojo, Maddie, Mackenzie and Nia spotted me when they arrived and came to join me.

"You doing okay, Ro?" Said Maddie, cutting straight to the chase. "I can't imagine how awful it must have been to see that video. I didn't even think it had been recorded."

I shrugged, pouring some syrup over my pancakes. "I mean, there's not really anything I can do about it now, is there? Shit happens."

"This is why I keep telling Miles not to invite footballers to his parties." Jojo scoffed. "They always end up causing trouble. I mean just look at the way they talked to you..."

"Not all of them are bad." Nia said. "I mean, Ronen dated one for three years, and he was kind enough to stand up for her last night."

Somehow her words seemed as though laced with an irritated undertone. Like she was saying it through gritted teeth... I knew the animosity wasn't by any fault of mine but I wanted to be rid of it once and for all, so I addressed the elephant lurking in the room.

"Nia, if you like him you can go for it you know? We aren't together anymore."

The dark-haired girl blushed profusely. "What? Like João? Who said I like him?"

"You're so flustered you don't even realise it." Mackenzie said, rolling her eyes. "Literally everyone can see that you like him, Ni and, by the way - just because Ronen is saying it's fine doesn't mean I think it's cool for you to go out with her ex."

"Oh my god." Maddie's eyes moved from Nia to just behind her. "Speak of the devil..."

I turned around from my position parallel to Maddie at the table to see what she was talking about, and sure enough, behind Nia and I were Neymar, Jude, Kylian and João, headed straight for us. I literally could not think of a worse cohort. The group stopped in front of our table, and João nudged Jude, Kylian and Neymar forward upon their arrival. "They've got something to say to Ronen."
He told us.

I gave the two a nod as indication to speak, and after they'd exchanged a few glances between themselves, Neymar cleared his throat. "Could we talk to you in private please, Ronen - we've got something to say?"

Maddie let out a loud scoff, folding her arms across her chest. "Whatever you have to say to her you can say to all of us."

Jude, Kylian and Neymar both looked to João awkwardly, but he shot them back an intimidating glance, and, presumably it gave them the motivation they needed to speak up.

"Ummm..." Neymar began shakily. "After what João said last night we all felt really bad about the things we said at the party."

"We wanted to apologise." Kylian continued. "We didn't know that was the night you got injured - actually we didn't know you had an injury at all... and we shouldn't have been so insensitive."

"I actually had a back injury during my third year and it ended up losing us a big tournament." Said Neymar. "It's the worst I ever felt in my whole life, and if anyone had joked about the moment it happened or made me relive it I don't know what I would have done or how angry I would have been, so I guess what I'm saying is - if there's any way we can make it up to you, let us know."