The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty One

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Do you need anybody?

I just need someone to love.

Could it be anybody?

I want somebody to love

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends,

Mmm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

Ooh, I get high with a little help from my friends

Yes I get by with a little help from my friends,

With a little help from my friends- With A Little Help From My Friends, The Beatles

HE WAS SITTING IN THE back corner snuggled up against a familiar blonde who had ditched the brown contacts. Chelsea felt like the breath had been knocked out of her at the sight of him- it had been so long. She thought that she was prepared to face him, and whatever new girlfriend he had. For, it was guaranteed that he would have a new girlfriend.

            Jay had never been single for long.

            But regardless of the fact that she was in Zen mode, meditation mode, her protective shell began to crack as he leaned down and kissed the blonde’s cheek. It was such a natural move, like he’d been made to be beside her.

            Beside Danielle Nicks.

            How is she even in AP English Literature, a senior class? She barley passed last year! A frown marred her face as she stepped into the room, but she quickly smoothed it over so they wouldn’t see. She probably bought her way into it.

            Chelsea instantly felt guilty thinking something like that about her friend (or ex-friend). She wanted to duck her head down so badly when they turned to look her way, but she refused to give in to it. Instead, she walked in with her head held high.

            She was the picture of confidence. Hopefully.

            “Ah, Miss O’Hara,” the teacher cried. “Lovely to have you back! We all missed you when you were ill after Spring Break!”

            So much for keeping the accident on the down low...

            “Thank you, it’s great to be back,” she lied through her teeth before walking down the aisle. Most of the class had arrived before her, but there was one seat free in the table in front of them. She had no other choice than to sit there, next to a girl with dark blonde hair and tanned skin, and pretend that they weren’t staring at her.

            “Hi,” the girl said. “I saw you talking to my friend Jordan before. I’m Willa Stevenson. Aren’t you the chick who got put up a whole year?”

            “Um, yeah. I’m Chelsea.” They shook hands. “Jordie and I were in the same study group.”

            Willa smiled at her. “Well, a friend of Jordan’s is a friend of mine! Welcome to our fantastical duo, now threesome, Scarlett!”

            “My name is Chelsea?”

            “I know! I was making a reference to Gone With the Wind. We are in English Lit, after all!” Why do I always make friends with weird people? Do I have a sign on my forehead or something, saying that they can target me?