Chapter 24: Weep Alone

Anticipation and anxiety danced together within the cavity of Harry's stomach. It was a little difficult to sit still, but he did his best not to wiggle to much. Harry sat infront of Wednesday, and was the only member not given an oar. He was truly fine with that, simply happy to participate. Strength had never been a particular talent of his after all. He looked over to one of the other canoes and let out a giggle. Sitting in the canoe close by was Xavier. Clown makeup decorated his handsome face and a silly jester hat.

"What do we have hear?" Bianca asked mockingly from his other side. The boys attention snapped over to her as well as Wednesday's. Harry looked down at realizing who had spoken, he was not fond of the siren at the moment.

"The runt of the litter," Bianca teased cruelly looking directly at Wednesday, she then looked over to Harry speaking softer, "and the runts pretty little pet." Harry blushed at the words, tears burning at the back of his eyes. It was no fun to be insulted, or what he viewed as being insulted.

Wednesday glared, and spoke, "For the record, I don't believe I'm better than everyone else. Just that I'm better than you. Harry is as well, so watch what you say about him." Bianca's face displayed her surprise.

"Relax, I called him pretty," Bianca smirked, Wednesday raised her eyebrows. Harry was not sure how to feel, but his abilities caused him discomfort. They were rucking up havoc under his skin, and he did not know why.

Before more conversation could be exchanged Weems announced, "I want to welcome you all to the Edgar Allan Poe Cup. This is one of Evermore's proudest annual traditions, dating back 125 years. Each team must row across to Raven Island, pull a flag from Crackstone's Crypt, and hustle back without sinking or being sunk. First team to cross the finish line with their flag wins the cup and bragging rights for a year, as well as some special privileges."

As Weems spoke a stowaway made himself known. Thing crawled out from under Harry's seat, catching the little human's attention. Harry smiled and waved at the appendage that he found very adorable. While the boy was distracted Weems said the words that would begin the game.

"Let the Poe Cup begin!" A gun was shot, Harry was startled. He sat and watched ahead as the canoe began moving forward. Noise filled his air, speckles of water splashed his face. The race had truly begun.

"Oh, excuse me," Xavier jokingly muttered as the canoe he was in passed The Black Cats. Harry, still a little upset at the boy found a random object at the bottom of the canoe and threw it. He missed and did not hit Xavier. It did however, hit another boy on the boat resulting in him dropping his oar. The members of The Black Cats cheered as they were once again ahead of the red canoe riding team.

Right behind them though Bianca was gaining distance. Unknown to the residents of Ophelia Hall the yellow dressed sirens had a secret weapon. On an old dock a male siren waited. The long haired boy shedded his shirt and was jumping into the water. Quickly he was swimming off, his tail propelling him forward. The game was just beginning.

A boat decorated in purple began gaining on the canoe of cat dressed students. A lever was pulled and axes were threatening Ophelia Hall's heads. Wednesday pushed Harry down making sure no harm would come to him. The boy felt nervous, not enjoying what felt like a life risk. Even do he calmed himself as the canoe kept moving forward.

Harry watched as the people in the purple canoe seemed to loose control. The canoe moved getting closer to a tall red structure on the lake. Harry watched as the canoe broke in half spilling everyone into the water. The possibility of that occurring for them scared Harry. After all he did not know how to swim.

Wednesday predicted something of a water creature nature. Using a scope she looked ahead and saw splashing and tail fins. Giving Thing a look, the appendage knew what it must do. Pulling a lever, a net was released capturing the young siren.

Although it was a relief that he had less of a risk of falling, Harry was worried. He wondered for the safety of the boy. After all he had been told in school not to hurt the fish, would the siren be hurt. Harry's overall knowledge on the creatures lacked, but he hoped that the creature was safe.

Soon they were arriving at the shore of the island. Wednesday made Harry stay with the other members of their team. It made Harry anxious, knowing Wednesday was alone during a game with no rules. Enid's plan to distract the Joker boys, however proved to be wonderfully successful. After all she was able to use her claws to damage their boat.

Time passed and Wednesday had not returned. The teams had come and gone. The Black Cats began to grow frustrated and oh so anxious. Wednesday did return to their relief. In the rush Harry had been pushed towards the back of their boat. He felt uncomfortable being so far from Wednesday.

They made it back on the water just in time to see the Jokers canoe fill with water. It was clear that they were very frustrated at what had occured. Harry giggled a little sending Xavier a little wave.

"See ya, Jokers!" Enid hollered, Harry was sure it sounded like someone yelled cheaters at them. "I just asked myself, 'WWWD?' What Would Wednesday Do?" Wednesday just gave her a look as the continued on. Harry of course giggled and observed there surroundings. The battle for victory continued as another lever was pulled. Spikes came from the canoe as they tried to get real close to the team of gold and black. Bianca seemed slightly concerned even.

They never made it quite close enough. A jerk occured, although not strong, it was enough force to knock Harry's light body off the boat. In the rush no one appeared to notice the body which had fallen. In a sudden moment the pushing stopped. The Black Cats did not take a second to think as they moved forward. Even as an oar slammed into Harry's head, stealing his consciousness.

XxX

I'm not sure if there will be another chapter today since I have a lot of school work, but I hope you enjoy this one!

Please comment all your thoughts and let me know what you think!