-76-

condom

condom

SCARLETT WAS AWOKEN TO RATTLES. They were loud and only getting louder. Her eyes opened slowly, finding herself on the ground next to Carl. Carl's eyes were opening slowly, but he shot up from his spot with wide eyes not soon after. Scarlett turned to see what had him panicked, and soon, she was jumping up to join the others at the barn doors.

They all grunted in pain as the walkers banged onto the barn doors. The storm was getting worse and worse as the night went on, but the walkers were all she thought about as she leaned her back on the door. She used her heels to stop her moving as she glanced to her right to see Abraham's face contorted in a grimace while he pushed against the door. To her left was Maggie, who was silently crying from the walkers or from her own grief, Scarlett did not know.

Scarlett's heels fell slightly, so she repositioned herself with her front facing the door. Her arms were extended, feeling all her tired muscles aching.

They stayed there as a group holding the door shut for hours. The wind got worse, and the walker's snarls and groans began to get lower and less in numbers. The door grew easier to hold, and soon, Rick called Carl and Sophia to go lay down. Glenn did the same with Maggie, who pulled Scarlett with her. The others began to slowly leave the door, no walkers at all being heard on the other side. Only the roaring wind and heavy rainfall was heard. Soon, if was just Daryl and Rick standing protectively in front of the doors while the others began to lay down again and sleep.

"I got it," Rick told him.

Daryl nodded, walking over to Scarlett and sitting next to her. Scarlett snuggled into his side, smirking when he scoffed at the action. Rick smirked from afar at how uncomfortable Daryl looked. He turned his head back to the doors, hand fiddling with his holster as he waited for a new threat to come.

Scarlett glanced around at everyone settling in. Carl made sure Judith was comfortable before laying back down next to her. The winds outside were still harsh, but it seemed that the walkers had either been killed or moved on. She felt Daryl move slightly, sighing a bit.

"I saw your hand... well, felt it," Scarlett whispered to him so no one could hear.

Daryl tensed at her words.

"Dar, it's not your fault. None of it was," she continued, hugging him tighter. "You're a good man. You deserve every bit of happiness, okay? I don't... I don't want to see you doin' that to yourself. My baby needs his godfather. Needs you 'round."

Daryl did not reply, only holding her tighter to him.

"Promise me."

"I promise," Daryl grunted out softly, placing his chin on her head. "Sleep."

Scarlett did not even remember falling asleep. She woke up the next morning to Judith's cries. She found herself lying on Rick, the man's arms holding her tightly. Smiling at his sleepy face, she brought a finger up to slowly trace his features. She felt his heart beat grow faster, so she knew he was awake.

Smiling softly, she tugged his beard.

"Ouch," he grumbled. "Can't let a man sleep, darlin'?"

"Want attention, s'all," she murmured, kissing his lips. The scruff of his beard felt animalistic against her face. Rick tightened his arms, gently turning her so they she was on her back. He glanced around, seeing everyone was still sleeping but Sasha and Maggie were nowhere to be found. The sunlight of the early morning sunrise was beginning to find its way into the cracks. Rick glanced back down at Scarlett... her beautiful eyes staring at him in wonder.

Her face was little dirty, but he was sure he looked no better. He leaned down, nuzzling his face in the crook of her neck. He placed kisses where his lips could reach.

"I felt him last night," Rick murmured, the vibrations of his voice on her neck sending a wave of pleasure to Scarlett's core. She smiled, wide and beautiful. "He kicked."

"Did he?"

"Mhm," Rick murmured, leaning up a bit to kiss her better. "Miss you."

"I'm right here."

"Y'know what I mean," Rick grumbled with a smirk.

Scarlett grinned cheekily. "That kind of thinkin' is what led to my stomach bein' rounder than ever, Rick Grimes."

"Still blamin' Glenn," Rick said with a chuckle.

"Blamin' Glenn for what?" Glenn asked as he yawned right after. Tara was waking up as well. Rick did not move from the precarious position, grinning up at Glenn.

"For Scarlett bein' pregnant."

"Woah! Is there something I'm missing?" Tara asked loudly, waking up the others.

Rick laughed, his head falling down again as Scarlett's own giggles followed. Glenn looked at them curiously as he quickly said, "No! No way!"

Scarlett looked at him upside down as she tilted her head back. "What? Somethin' wrong with me, Glenn?"

"No! Not at all! What I meant— I mean— Rick said—"

Scarlett's giggles got louder as Glenn stammered and Tara asked what Rick meant again. Rick sat up after placing a kiss on Scarlett's awaiting lips. He helped Scarlett sit up before going into his back pocket, finding something he had found a while back. He was holding it as a joke, waiting for the perfect moment.

Throwing the single condom at Glenn, he added, "Looks like I won't need it anymore since you always stole them back at the prison. I mean we had like what? Three boxes!? I think they were all in your cell at the end!"

This sent the group into a round of laughter as Glenn's face heated up. Daryl smirked, clapping Glenn on the back as Glenn tried to make up an excuse.

"Jesus, Glenn!" Tara complained teasingly. "Couldn't keep it in your pants!?"

"Not for more than a few hours, if I remember Maggie's words right," Scarlett added, lying to make Glenn more embarrassed.

He grew even redder, about to retort when the barn doors opened. They all turned as Sasha, Maggie, and unknown man slowly walked in the door. The laughter that was previously there left as if it never existed at all.

Scarlett made Sophia help her stand, moving protectively in front of her, Carl, and Judith as the man waved awkwardly from the closed door.