Chapter 2: Family

Neteyam is a family man... He always has been and always will be. He remembers when he was little how much family nights meant to him.

How he would get so frustrated with his dad if Jake was out hunting instead of being home after eclipse to tell stories to him and his siblings.

So when Esmyrie would be there some nights, during story time, he would be furious. Family nights are for family. Neteyam would also tell his father, even if Esmyrie was by his side, holding onto Jake's hand as Nilar handed her to him.

Jake understood the resentment Neteyam had on Esmyrie at a young age. Neteyam didn't understand why she would come and stay over, it just didn't make sense to him. Jake was the one that called it 'family night' and to Neteyam, Esmyrie wasn't family, just a friend.

So when Lo'ak started having the same attitude towards Esmyrie and her stays some nights, Jake knew he eventually would have to sit his boys down and explain it to him.

"I just don't understand why Esmyrie is here on family night. She hears stories of you and mom, but she isn't a Sully!" Lo'ak complains one night, Esmyrie shying away from the boys outburst and hiding behind Neytiri.

Neytiri on the other hand, never understood their sons hatred for the girl after eclipse.

She would see her son's okay with Esmyrie during the day, laughing and smiling, but for whatever reason, once night hit, they would grow angry at the girl.

She remembers asking Jake about it one morning.

Jake has his hands around Neytiri's waist, her back to his front, his head hiding in the corner crease of her neck and jaw.

"Ma Jake, why is it that our sons don't like Esmyrie after eclipse?" Neytiri asks, smiling when Jake kisses her cheek.

Neytiri loves mornings like this, when the kids have already woken up to have breakfast with her mother.

Jake sighs out, pulling Neytiri a little closer to him.

"They don't understand that Nilar is all she has, and they don't understand that Nilar must leave to grieve and visit Illa'oke at the Tree of Souls." Jake mumbles out, frowning when he says the words.

Neytiri and him both know how lucky they are. To have such a big family, and to have each other. Neither can imagine what their life would be like without the other or without all their kids. They couldn't even begin to imagine Nilar's grief, especially with it happening before his wife ever got to see their daughter.

"I don't like how they make Esmyrie upset. I know they want nights just us, but Esmyrie doesn't deserve to have nights alone when her father is grieving." Neytiri says.

"I know, my love. I know. I'll try and explain it to them... I think they are old enough to understand." Jake says, putting his hand on Neytiri's pregnant belly.

They are having another kid, and soon their family would be a family of six.

"Neteyam is only seven, and Lo'ak and Kiri are only six. Do you really think they will understand?

"They have their mothers brain, well maybe not Lo'ak." Jake jokes, causing Neytiri to laugh out loud. "They are all very wise for their years. I'm sure they will understand." Jake mumbles out, giving a kiss to his mate and hugging her tight.

Neteyam remembers the conversation with his father so vividly. It was when his perspective changed from family coming first to family not always needing be be blood.