29. AU

Klaus sat in the Lockwood cellar, holding his head in his hands. He was unable to sleep after Layla's death. He thought that this would be the time, that this would be the time that he could save her. It all made sense, he thought he would find away, the meeting with Michelle, the witch, her vision of her mother and the ring, Esther coming back. But he had failed once again. If he was dead, then at least they could be together on the other side.

Bonnie came back into the cellar, visible crying. She had her hand clasped around something, that caught Klaus' attention.

"What is that?" He asked in Tyler's voice.

"Umm, Layla's ring, the one you gave her the night of the ball." Bonnie said holding her palm out for him. "She gave it to Rebekah, and now I have it." Bonnie dropped the ring into Klaus' hand, "Keep it."

Klaus' breath hitched in his throat. "Thank you. Where is she?"

"The morgue, I guess. Damon took her to the hospital. He is a mess, of what happened."

"Elena is no longer my problem, now put me in my body." Klaus told her.

"I can't right now."

"Your history teacher outed Tyler and Caroline to the Council." Klaus told her, "They're on a war path and this body's vulnerable."

"I have to help Elena before she has to feed." Bonnie told him.

"Elena's dead and no longer my concern. My concern is to see Layla off properly."

Bonnie shook her head, "You're forgetting who just saved your life."

Klaus grabbed Bonnie by the throat, "And you're forgetting that I could rip your tongue out. Now put me back."

Bonnie struggle, "If I can keep Elena human, you'll still have an endless blood supply to make your hybrids. Isn't that what you really want?"

Klaus released Bonnie and she began to leave, but he rushed in front of her blocking her way, "No, I want Layla back. Figure out a way and I will let you go but, same rules apply. No one knows. No one. Do you understand me, Bonnie?"
******************
Bonnie was performing a spell to get Klaus out of Tyler's body and back into his. She had her hands on the sides of aHis head, chanting. Jeremy watched, worried.

"This is black magic. She shouldn't be doing this."

Tyler opened his eyes and looked up. "Tyler?"

He smiled, happy to back in his body, "Hey."

He tried to get up, but fell back to the ground. "Tyler?"

"Bonnie, what are you doing?" Jeremy asked, looking up to her. She stopped chanting, looking at her dead Grams in front of her.

"I warned you, child. I warned you to stay away." Her Grams told her.

"Bonnie, it worked. Stop." Jeremy told her.

Bonnie and her Grams held onto each other's hand. "What's happening? Let me go!" Bonnie yelled.

"I can't." She told her.

"Let me go!"

"Bonnie, what's happening?" Jeremy asked her.

Dark veins started creeping down Bonnie's arm and toward her Grams' and suddenly in her arms as well.

"Okay, let her go!"

Grams shook her head, "You made your choice. Now they're taking it out on me!"

The veins crept up her face and she began to scream in pain. "I'm sorry, Grams! They can't do this to you! Please, don't do this to her!" Bonnie cried.

"Bonnie, stop!"

"No! No! Oh my God!" Bonnie cried as her Grams disappeared. Bonnie fell to the ground, on her knees, crying. Jeremy got down next to her and tried to comfort her. "What have I done?! What did I do?! What did I do? What did I do?"
***************
Klaus was putting the last three bags of Elena's blood in an ice box. He planned to visit Layla, burry her, and then leave and wait for her return.

"How dare you not save me!" Rebekah roared, entering the house.

Klaus was in no mood to deal with her, "Hello brother. Thought you were dead. So pleased you're not."

"You left me!"

"I was busy grieving over my dead girlfriend and getting back into my body. Rest assured, I had a worse day than you. I think it's time to move on, say goodbye to Layla, and find some werewolves."

"So you can create your hybrid family?" Rebekah asked, "You don't know anything about family! Layla died for you, and you aren't going to try to bring her back?"

"How many times am I going to have to try to bring her back?" Klaus yelled, "I have to wait! I have to wait for her! All I can do is wait, I love her, I will wait another thousand years if I have to!" Klaus said, tears now forming in his eyes.

Rebekah took a blood bag and threw it against the wall, making it splatter. "This is for Layla!"

Klaus: Well, I know how easily they can be silenced with a dagger.

"No!" Klaus yelled turning to face Rebekah. She had the last two blood bags in her hands, "Drop them."

"I mourned you! My heart broke thinking I'd never see you again!"

"Put the blood down, Rebekah." Klaus yelled, making her lower the bags, "There's a good girl."

"It's always been me! Not Finn, not Elijah, not Kol, me! I loved you through everything and you don't even care!" Rebekah yelled, "And for Layla, this is how you mourn?"

"I did mourn, I have mourned for a thousand years! I miss her. She is the only woman I will ever love!" Now, drop it!" Klaus yelled at her.

"You want your family?" Rebekah questioned, "You want Layla?" She squeezed the blood bags and they burst, leaving no more blood for Klaus to make hybrids. "Here's your family!"

Klaus rushed towards Rebekah and grabbed her by the throat, "You know something, Rebekah, you're right. I don't care. From this moment on; you're not my family, you're not my sister, you are nothing." With a swift movement, her neck was snapped and Rebekah was on the ground. "Now, I am seeing Layla."
**********
Klaus walked into the hospital morgue. It was cold, smelled like death. On the cold, metal table, Layla laid, only a sheet covering her body. She was as beautiful as the last time Klaus saw her. He fell to the ground, gripping her hand, tears freely flowing.

"Layla, I am so sorry." He cried. "Come back to me, we were so close to finding the answers, come back please.

There was no response, Layla still laid on the table. "Please, love come back to me." Klaus cried.

Klaus stood up, tears drying on his face. He stroked Layla's hair once more before turning away. He always hated this part, the part where he had to leave her body. He wouldn't see that beautiful face for what seemed to be eternity.
**************
Klaus went back to his house, in complete distress.

"Niklaus, there you are," Elijah said from a doorway.

"What do you want brother?" Niklaus grunted.

"I'm sorry Klaus, I knew you had a good feeling about it this time."

"Don't worry Elijah, she will come back, it might take forever, but eventually she will," Klaus said.

"Niklaus, maybe it's time to move on," Elijah said quietly, "You loved her for over a thousand years, and it has never worked out for you."

Klaus turned around to face his brother, "What don't you understand? I will love her and only her."