-81-

interview

interview

RICK WENT INSIDE WITH DEANNA TO SPEAK TO HER FIRST. Scarlett was told she would go next by Aaron before he told them he had to bring Eric to the infirmary. Rick came back out of Deanna's home almost thirty minutes later. He helped Scarlett stand, keeping her steady as he brought her into the room.

Deanna nodded at Rick, and he kissed Scarlett once before leaving.

"I'm Deanna Monroe," she introduced herself, smiling at Scarlett. Scarlett did not smile back. "You're Scarlett Grimes, right?"

"That's right."

"Do you mind if I film this? I like to keep records," Deanna told her. Scarlett shrugged. Deanna nodded happily, sitting down in front of Scarlett. "How long have you been out there?"

"Didn't you just talk to Rick? M'sure he gave you everything you needed to know," she told the woman.

"He did. I just like to talk to everyone as if I'm learning things for the first time. Helps me get a perspective wider than the horizon. Now, how long?"

Scarlett gulped, looking down. "God, ever since the farm went up in flames, we have been surviving together. Then, the prison went next. We found each other, though. Always did. Been over a seven months since we've been out of the prison. Years since the farm. Surviving. That's all we do."

"And... the group... you knew them before?" she asked.

Scarlett kept her face stoic, shaking her head. "Just Maggie. Maggie's my sister... cousin, really, but her Daddy took care of me like I was his own."

"So, you met them all at the farm?" Deanna asked, a smile. "You took them all in?"

"Rick, Carl, Sophia, Carol, Glenn, Maggie, and Daryl are all that's left from the farm. The others we picked up on the way. They are family. Let me ask you something, Deanna? Your people. They ever been out there? Surviving?"

"A lot of us have been here since the beginning."

Scarlett stood up after some trouble. She glared at the woman. "Yeah, I can tell. Bunch of weak people. Y'all don't know what we've been through. You put those walls up, but you let people in? You might as well put the noose 'round your own neck. God, it's stupid. Y'all don' know who we've had to kill. Who we've had to become to survive!

"My family. They are everything to me. I don' just mean Carl and Judith. I mean that whole group out there. Y'all threaten my group in any way by being here, you'll wish otherwise. I can't lose any more of them... I can't!"

Deanna nodded at her. "Sit down. I'm sure you need it. How far along are you?"

"Eight months maybe. Seven. I dunno. Due any day now with all the stress of traveling on the road."

"Found you just in time. What did you do before this?"

"Why do you even want us here? You know what we've done... what I've done..." she whispered, ignoring Deanna. She did not want to open those doors. "You should lock those gates and never open them again."

"Aaron says I can trust you. Your people," Deanna began before Scarlett cut her off.

"Aaron knows nothing," she said softly as a tear left her eye. "Surviving out there isn't a joke. It's hard. Cruel. It's life now." Scarlett sat down, feeling overwhelmed. "What do you want from us?"

"These families... these families should be able to raise their children in a safe environment. Your son, your daughter, the newborn coming should have a place to grow up. What do I want? I want you to help us survive. I know you can help us do that."

"How?"

"I am exceptionally good at reading people."

Scarlett sighed, looking down at the ring on her finger. "Before, I was nothing. Full of trauma and abuse from my Daddy. My Uncle took me in, let me do odd jobs on the farm. Then, the world went to shit. I became a leader in this new world with Rick by my side. He's been—God, he's been such a blessing. He's been the only thing keeping me sane. He pushes us, keeps us alive. His heart is so big. He taught me how to lead. He taught me how to be my own person. I couldn't even speak to someone I did not know without a panic attack. Rick taught me to trust again. He taught me to live."

Scarlett smiled a bit. "He taught me to love. And Judith. Carl. This new baby. They are gonna have so much love surrounding them whether we stay here or not. We've survived this long. We can keep surviving. All we need is each other. Family."

Deanna nodded, a smile on her face. "Exceptional. Honestly phenomenal. I think I got what I needed for now. Any other questions?"

"Yeah," Scarlett sniffled, wiping her eyes. She glanced up. "How long do you think this place will stay up?"

"Forever, is what I'm betting on."

"Don't bet too soon," Scarlett told her, standing up again. "We all lost a lot recently. Please, go easy on the others."

Deanna nodded, helping Scarlett get around the furniture. "Your family," Deanna told her before she left. "They are lucky to have you looking after them."

"I'm the lucky one, Deanna," she said with a hesitant smile. "We are all we got. It's gotten us this far."

"Indeed it has."

Scarlett nodded once more before opening the door to the porch, seeing Rick pacing. He smiled at her when she came out, taking the few steps to hug her tightly.

"I will interview the others one by one. Start sending them in," Deanna told Rick and Scarlett. They nodded as she sent them one more smile and turned back into her house.