-82-

haircuts, showers, sleepovers

SCARLETT STOOD UNDER HOT WATER. She was crying, sobbing more like. Her eyes could see the blood. Dirt. Grime. All of it washing down the drain. Her red hair fell in front of her face as she leaned on the wall. Her gaze moved to her stomach, the marks from previous battle wound on it. She rubbed it gently.

She had shaved. She had washed her hair. Nails. She washed behind her ears. Every crevice she could find that could hold some type of dirt or blood.

Now, she cried.

"Scar?" Carl called, wanting his turn she knew.

"I'm comin'!" she called out, the break in her voice evident. She turned off the water with shaky hands.

"You okay?"

"Fine," she called back, stepping out of the shower. She pulled a robe on, feeling the soft material. "I'm fine."

"I'm comin' in," Carl called. "You decent?"

"Yeah."

Carl opened the door, the lock not even a thought in Scarlett's mind. He saw Scarlett sitting on the closed toilet. The robe covered her, and he watched as she looked up at him with teary eyes.

"Hey," Carl whispered, stepping forward. He knelt in front of her, still reaching her head with his height. He had grown so much. "We're okay, right? What can I do?"

Scarlett began to cry again. "I don't know. I don't know why I'm crying. I'm overwhelmed."

Carl pulled her to his chest, letting her sob.

Rick's footsteps were heard next as he rushed to the bathroom when he heard the noises from upstairs. Scarlett had to do a double take when she saw him.

His face was shaved. No trace of any facial hair. He was clean, wearing nice jeans and a button up. His face was worried, but he, too looked at Scarlett as if he was seeing her for the first time.

She noticed his hair was trimmed, too.

"Hey, darlin'. Come with me," he whispered, helping her stand. The robe almost didn't cover her completely because of her stomach, but it worked. Rick placed some slippers on the floor, and Scarlett looked at them incredulously. "Jessie brought them. Says it'll help with your feet. Humor me."

Scarlett heard Carl snickering. Flipping him off, she placed her feet gently into the shoes as they started walking. She heard Carl begin to shower as Rick led her downstairs. There was a pretty woman with blonde hair waiting in the kitchen.

She smiled at Scarlett.

"You must be the wife. Scarlett, right?" Jessie asked. "I'm Jessie. I just gave Rick a trim. Would you like one?"

Scarlett glanced at Rick. He nodded subtly. He was telling her it was okay to trust her for now.

She waddled over to the chair, sitting down. Jessie pulled her wet hair back and began to brush it. "I brought some things from the pantry for you all. Also, my husband, Pete, he's the surgeon here. He already said you have an appointment tomorrow morning at eleven. He will give you a good look of your baby. Wants to make sure he or she is developing alright."