-90-

one of two ways

one of two ways

ABRAHAM SAT ON HER COUCH, DRINKING A BEER AS HE WATCHED HER SKIN THE ANIMALS SHE HAD KILLED OUTSIDE THE WALL. He was put on 'Scarlett-Watch' by Michonne while they tried to erase some of the problems Rick and Scarlett caused.

"I knew the moment I saw your pregnant ass that I wanted you to be on my side," Abraham commented with a smirk.

"Yeah?"

"Oh, yeah. Firecracker like you... needed you on our team no matter what the costs."

Scarlett snorted a laugh before she sighed at the mess of blood on her hands. She got the meat in bags to be brought to Olivia. She put her own meat in the fridge. She began to clean up as Abraham continued.

"Still after this place has called you out, you're trying to provide for them," Abraham said with a laugh. "Ain't nobody like you."

Scarlett shrugged, not answering as she threw away the paper towels that had blood stains on them. When she was washing her hands, Annie began to cry. She quickly dried her hands and prepared a bottle for her.

"They're having a meeting tonight to discuss kicking you and Rick out. Michonne told me to tell you about it," he added after some time. "Yeah, I figured it was comin', but I got your back. Whatever happens."

"Thanks, Abraham," Scarlett whispered as she placed the bottle in Annie's mouth. She sat down next to Abraham, leaning her head on his shoulder. "The world isn't what it was."

"Nah, but we gotta make it worth it for this little one. For Judith. Carl. Sophia."

Scarlett smiled, getting off his shoulder when Carl walked inside. He smiled slightly. "Hey."

"I know that look," Scarlett murmured. "I'm fine, Carl. Just had to have your Dad's back. It's what we do."

"I get it," Carl nodded. "I'm watching her, Abraham. Rosita wants your help with something."

Abraham nodded, turning to ruffle Scarlett's hair. She pouted at the action causing him to laugh. Standing up, he pointed at her. "Don't cause no more trouble, Firecracker. I'll see you at the meeting where I'll be defending your ass."

"Thanks," Scarlett murmured before he left, shutting the door gently behind him. Scarlett stood up, placing Annie on her shoulder to burp her. "I don't need to be babysat, Carl."

"I know. That's why I told them I would," Carl said with a deadpanned look. "I was planning to take a nap."

"You are your father all over again," Scarlett said with a grin on her face.

Carl shrugged, leaning down to pick up Judith who was making grabby hands for him. He was about to say something else when the door opened and Rick walked inside. He was bandaged up from the fight, and he immediately began to look over Scarlett to make sure she was okay.

He noticed the swelling around her eye, but besides that, she looked okay.

"Dad. Hey," Carl greeted, letting Rick cup his cheek before doing the same to Judith. He walked over, kissing Scarlett on the forehead and taking Annie from her arms. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Rick murmured. He looked at both of them as he sighed. "Look, I'm sorry."

"I heard about the meeting," Carl began.

"You're staying home," Rick said immediately.

"That's what it is now, right?" Carl asked. "Home?"

"Yeah," Scarlett responded, smiling softly at him.

"They need us. They'll die without us," Carl added.

"I might have to threaten one of them. I could have to kill one of them," Rick told them as if preparing them for the worst.

"You won't."

"I might," Rick retorted.

"You have to tell them," Carl tried.

"I told them last night," Rick rebutted, rocking Annie gently in his arms. "Scarlett told them. They don't wanna listen to us."

"You have to tell them so they can hear you."

"I don't know if they can," Rick told Carl, shaking his head. "Does that make you afraid?"

"Just for them," Carl replied. He sighed. "You have to tell them."

Rick nodded, mumbling he needed some air. He placed Annie in the playpen gently as she fell asleep. He grabbed Scarlett's hand, pulling her outside. They sat on the porch, ignoring everyone's dirty looks.

"Your eye."

"I'm okay," Scarlett promised, holding his hand tightly. "Barely felt it with all the adrenaline. Had to stick up for ya. Always, y'know?"

Rick grinned tightly, eyes downcast away from the neighbors. "I appreciate that more than you'll ever know. I know I shouldn't have done what I did, but Deanna knew about it. She didn't do anything because he's a surgeon. How fucked is that? She even brought up how he was there for you to have the baby. Fuck, Carol and Maggie could have done what he did any day s'long as they had the tools."

"I know," Scarlett whispered. "But now, these people are scared of us. More than before. I know your plan. It's been going through my head over and over, but the others? They need this place. Abraham said he's got our back, but if we have to leave, the others might not..."

"We ain't leavin'," Rick promised. "You said it. You know my plan. You got my back. As long as you do that, we're not leavin'."

"I trust you," she whispered, pulling his knuckles to her lips. "And I know you'll do what's best for our kids. Our future."

"Rick. Scarlett," Michonne greeted softly. Scarlett smiled tightly at her. "You ready?"

"Carol, Daryl, Scarlett, and me... we worked it out together," Rick said after a moment of not answering her. "Carol took four guns from the armory. I still have one, she still has one. Scarlett's got one. We lied to you because I wasn't sure how you'd take it, what you'd do."

Rick lifted his shirt to show the gun. He pulled it down before someone saw.

"You think I'd try to stop you?" Michonne asked incredulously.

"Well, you did hit me over the head," Rick said with a smirk.

"That was for you, not them."

"I was afraid you'd talk me out of it. You could've."

"We don't need them here. I don't need my sword. I think you can find a way. We can find a way. And if we don't... I'm still with you. Something's gonna happen. Just don't make something happen," Michonne told them.

Scarlett stood up, grabbing her jacket off the back of the chair. She leaned down to kiss Rick. "Make sure Carl and Sophia are watching the babies. Don't be too long. I'll meet you there, Sheriff."

Scarlett smiled at him, turning and taking Michonne's arm to show she was not mad at the woman. They began to walk to the meeting as the night began to wake. They met up with Maggie and Tara on the way, and Tara told her the same thing that Abraham said about being there for her. Maggie agreed, but she implored that they needed this. Basically sayin' Scarlett needs to keep her mouth shut while they fixed it.

Scarlett did not argue. She decided tonight was going to go one of two ways. She felt under her shirt where the gun rested, and took a deep breath.

One of two ways.