thirteen

Something was bothering him, it was clear but I just didn't know what it was

Mariano seemed to be stressed more than usual, I know of his difficulty with sleeping and it causes his eyes to look low and filled with tiredness but the look in his eyes had deepened.

He sat Iris on his lap as he helped her eat her food, he occasionally kissed her cheek and smiled whenever she would giggle.

Not that this was new behavior but something in his eyes looked pained as he did it.

After our— the moment we shared two days ago, Mariano had gone to William's office and hadn't returned until it was the beginning of sun rising and even then he hadn't gone to his room.

I had woken up that night for something to drink and found him sitting on the couch with his hands through his hair and in a stressed state.

This morning when I returned from the hospital, he had been home and hadn't uttered a word.

I asked Maritza if he had been like this all day and she sadly confirmed that he barely spoke to her as well, not unless she sparked the conversation.

He was occupied on the phone for half of the morning in his room which was soundproof so neither of us could hear him or the extent of the conversation seemed to only make his mood worse.

It didn't help with the fact that I was a second away from kissing him two days ago and it was all I could think about since.

At that moment, I had wanted that kiss, maybe to put my mind at ease and figure out if his lips were as soft as they looked and since we were interrupted, I could not confirm or deny my question.

I had been so occupied that I had forgotten to call Preston who asked if I had been alright this morning with a text and I had simply told him how busy everything has been for me.

I didn't know if he wanted to be bothered and I debated on whether or not I should knock on his door and ask him if he was alright.

I didn't have to knock because he had already thrown open his door and prepared to walk down the steps until he paused and saw me standing in front of him with my fist ready to knock on the door.

He didn't say anything, his jaw was tight and his hair looked disheveled.

"I just wanted to check on you" I bite on my lower lip and his green eyes fall to them before looking back up.

"You seemed stressed this morning and I wanted to make sure you were okay" I kept going and waited for a response but it didn't seem like he had an answer.

"If only the judge thought of me like you did Beautiful, maybe then I'd be okay" He finally replied, a little chuckle at the end, his phone in his right hand.

"Did something happen?" I ask with a curious tone, he had been receiving good news recently that the judge recognized his attempt to work on himself.

"Something almost happened but like always, something or someone got in the way" He glanced back down to my lips and switched the conversation to when Preston's phone call had interrupted us.