-93-

the plans

the plans

SCARLETT LEANED OVER RICK AS HE POINTED OUT TO CARTER THE PLAN ON A MAP. The others were preparing their things... saying their goodbyes for now. They had a lot of work to do, and Rick was ready to lead them just as he always had.

"Marshall and Redding," Rick told him. "We force them west here."

Deanna nodded. "How?"

"We block it off so they can only go one way, west, away from the community."

Carter scoffed. "Block it off with what?"

"Cars. We'll use the RVs, some of the bigger trucks, park them end to end. We'll be drawing them away. They're gonna keep moving," Rick added.

"Yeah, but that many? Just bouncing off some sedans? And then when they start slipping through and the ones that walk away start distracting the rest and you stop drawing them away?"

"Man's got a point," Scarlett told Rick in his ear. Rick nodded, about to respond when Eugene spoke up.

"We got plates. The big-ass metal ones from the construction site. We can use them to fortify the whip wall. It'd help disperse the force of impact and direct the walkers clean. Like a pool table. Eight ball, corner pocket," Eugene planned out. Scarlett grinned at him, nodding. Rick began to write that down.

Carter still seemed unconvinced. "That's an army out there. And what happens when this doesn't hold? And they push on through. The curve in this hillside is gonna send them right back east. Right back here. You seriously want to risk that?"

"No," Rick said. "So you need to help us to make it hold. These walls, you built them. So you've already done the impossible."

"Carter," Deanna mumbled. "Please."

The next few hours were gearing up to get themselves to that corner on Marshall and Redding. Within those hours, they had hauled their materials to the site, getting enough people out there to make it work as soon as possible. Scarlett wiped beads of sweat from her forehead as she hammered the plate into place. Abraham came up next to her, holding the plate heytet. He nodded when she groaned out thanks.

Moving away from the board, she added that she was going to grab some water. Walking over to the water table, she grabbed a glass from Maggie. Nearby were Rick and Deanna, and she leaned on the table as Rick spoke to the older woman.

She heard him ask her for them to be armed inside the walls when she asked him what else he needed. She agreed immediately, bringing a sense of peace to wash over her. They could be ready if something went wrong now, and yes, they needed training, but Alexandria was going to prosper. They needed to.

As if the world was reading her thoughts, a few walkers began to snarl and groan as they made their way toward the few people working. Rick told their group to wait as they watched and saw what the Alexandrians would do.