-95-

the horn

the horn

SCARLETT CRACKED HER NECK AS SHE WAITED FOR GLENN TO BREAK THE GLASS THAT WOULD UNLEASH THE WALKERS. Heath and Nicholas were apprehensive, but Scarlett knew Glenn and she could do it. Heath and Nicholas needed to learn. This was how.

"This is a bad idea," Heath said again.

"This is the only idea," Glenn muttered back.

"I think there's something like a dozen in there," Nicholas whimpered out.

"We stay back, we get on opposite ends, we draw them to each of us," Scarlett told them.

"Try and take down four each?" Nicholas asked her.

"No," Scarlett quickly stated.

Glenn nodded at her. "This is just me, Scar, and Heath. You get back and you stay back. Things go south, you tell Rick and you draw them away. Just move back."

Nicholas nodded, gulping a bit.

Scarlett was ready, her skin itching for the fight to be over with. "You ready?" she asked them.

Heath chuckled mockingly. "No. But since you're doing this thing anyway..."

"All right."

Glenn broke the glass, and they came pouring out. Scarlett rushed forward and put her knife into one as another came to her side. She kicked it, pulling her knife out of one as she slashed it into the other. She grinned as she kicked the body into a third one. Gunshots were fired from the other two, and she heard Heath yelling at her to use her gun.

"They're still coming," Heath yelled as Scarlett finally backed away enough to let them get clearer shots. She threw her knife, landing it in one's forehead before taking her rifle and aiming it at the others.

There was one left as Glenn's gun ran out of ammo. As he went to change it, he told Nicholas to get it. Scarlett sighed in relief as that problem was out of the way. She nodded at Heath with a small smile. He did good.

"Time to go."

"On our way back, Sheriff," Scarlett yelled through the radio. "Meet you at yellow."

They took off running in the trees, and Scarlett felt a smile make its way on her face as the trees whizzed past them. She hopped over logs, passing animals she would have shot if she was hunting. A small laugh bubbled out of her throat. Glenn chuckled a bit as they ran. Scarlett was in her element.

"It's working," Scarlett told Rick when they made it to them. Rick wrapped his arm around her waist when she got to him, letting him kiss her head. "You were right as usual."

Rick nodded, letting her go. "Everyone, we need to finish this. We have to keep moving and fan out down that thing front to back. Like we said, cops at a parade. Glenn, you take the back with Scar. Y'all got the other walkie."