-97-

the end?

the end?

SCARLETT KNEW THIS COULD GO REALLY BADLY REALLY FAST. She thought later that if she knew how bad it really was going to go, would she have still gone? The answer was unfortunately yes. She would have never let Glenn go alone. Glenn was her brother. He was someone she loved deeply.

Scarlett, Glenn, and Nicholas stayed quiet as they went through a back way around the pack of walkers. They stayed together as she held her hunting knife tightly. She had left her rifle with the others in case, so she only had her Python if she needed it.

They approached a wreck of cars, and there was a walker trapped. Scarlett wanted to put it out of its misery, so she stepped forward.

"Wait," Nicholas called, grabbing her arm softly. "It should be me. He was on my crew. His name was Will. He was 19. We left him behind."

"You're not that guy anymore," Scarlett whispered, finally coming to accept it.

"Hey, you are here now," Glenn told him. "She's right. You are not that guy anymore. Okay."

Nicholas walked forward, putting Will down. He took a shaky breath. Scarlett nodded at them to keep going. They took one step before they heard gunshots from home. Scarlett felt her heart drop to her toes.

"Home. Something is wrong," she whispered. "Annie. Judith. Carl. Glenn, what do we do?"

"We gotta finish this." More gunshots were heard. "Shit."

They took off running, following Nicholas's directions. Scarlett was trying to think positively, but it was proving harder and harder with this. She felt her throat closing up.

No, not now. You're better than this. Do it for your babies. For Rick. For Hershel. For Shawn. Beth. You are strong.

Scarlett swallowed the panic, letting her gaze harden.

"It's just up ahead. We light it up and we go," Nicholas promised.

They turned a corner to see a building already burned to a crisp. Scarlett kicked a rock angrily. "There's gotta be another building." There were plenty of buildings, of course, but none of them were going to light easily.

Glenn shook his head as a pack of walkers began to get closer. They had come out of nowhere. He grabbed her arm, yelling, "We gotta go."

"Um..." Nicholas muttered.

"Where?!" Glenn shouted, keeping a hold on Scarlett.

"Nicholas!" Scarlett shouted.

"This way."

Nicholas led them through the town as Scarlett took her Python out to shoot at the pack. She felt the panic try to escape. Nicholas turned another corner, seeing a dead end with a dumpster. Scarlett shot some more, crying out as she tripped on trash. Glenn helped her stand as they were pushed back.

"Shit!"

They ran at the dumpster, hoping to climb the fence behind it. Scarlett jumped back with a yell as walkers on the other side of the fence started to snarl. There was no where to go as there were walkers in front and behind them. Scarlett felt the panic rise again.

"No!" Nicholas shouted in horror at the situation.

"Damn it," Glenn muttered as the three of them tried to shoot as many walkers as they could. Glenn's gun clicked showing it was empty. Scarlett did not waste any more bullets as she took a few head on and stabbed them.

"Up! Go up!" Scarlett shouted, pushing Nicholas up on the garbage bin when she realized there was nothing they could do. There was no way out. Glenn helped Scarlett next, and Scarlett turned to pull Glenn up just as the walkers surrounded them. "Oh, God."

Scarlett was standing next to Glenn as she tried to think of a way out of this. "Oh, God," she said again, hand coming up to her head. She had a headache, and she realized that this would be it. She would never see her babies again. Rick. Maggie. Daryl. She swallowed the panic. She had to.

Scarlett turned when she saw Glenn shouting for Nicholas. Nicholas seemed to be in his head. He was not there in that moment. He was making a decision. Scarlett saw the manic look in his eyes.

"Nicholas! Look at me. Hey, look at me! Look at me!"

Scarlett's eyes widened as Nicholas whispered, "Thank you."

He brought the gun to his head, blowing his brains out. The blood splattered on Glenn and Scarlett as his body fell forward onto the pair—Scarlett screaming as Glenn fell. His hand had grabbed onto Scarlett's on instinct, and she fell too. He didn't mean to, but it happened.

Scarlett screamed louder as Nicholas's body laid on top of them. The walkers tore into it, and for a moment, she thought it was their bodies the walkers were tearing into. Scarlett cried, pulling her way under the dumpster. She stabbed the nearest walker, trying to pull Glenn with her. She cried out when she cut her shoulder on a rock, but she kept going. She had to save Glenn.

She was sobbing now as she pulled Glenn. Glenn tried to help, stabbing a walker that got too close. Her knife fell out of her hand as Glenn accidentally knocked it with his body close to hers. He was killing the walkers now that saw them.

Scarlett saw a walker about to bite Glenn. His eyes were still on Nicholas's body, and he did not notice. She shouted, shoving her arm in the way of the bite.

Her scream was deafening as the walker took a large chunk of her wrist, and Glenn's eyes could only widen as the blood splattered everywhere.