Epilogue

"Every song chord must have a last bead"

The Sullys all move slowly through the sea. Neteyam's body is carried in a big leaf that they move carefully. He is shrouded with some flowers around him.

His siblings surround him. Kiri is moving in an ilu, Spider behind her. Liläk is in front of Lo'ak, who holds her arm softly as he can't grab her unharmed hand, which is resting in her twin's arm, a way of being with him through the trip.

Jake leads the way in front of them.

The Metkayina surround them respectfully, holding torches to light up the night sky. The luminescence of the sea gives a faint blue light.

"A father protects, it's what gives him meaning"

Once they are above the place for the burial, Jake gets off his ilu and heads back, positioning himself beside his eldest son. They hold Neteyam's body carefully as they take him off the leaf and Neytiri and Jake hold him. They take a deep breath as they submerge. Their children stay in the surface, looking down.

Liläk stays close to Tuk and Lo'ak.

"The people say that all energy is only borrowed...and one day you have to give it back."

Liläk takes a deep breath and submerges her head under the water. Their parents swim down to deposit Neteyam's body safely above the plants on the bottom. They are lit up, which gives Liläk a sense of their home.

"Eywa holds all our children in her heart, nothing is ever lost...just like Liläk said, his energy flows in Eywa, he lives in her heart."

After the funeral they can all go to the tree of souls and commune with it, they can see Neteyam again.

Liläk swims close by to her parents, she sees them link to the tree. There is a little anxiousness in her, but the sense of hope and calm overflow her even before she can link herself to the tree of souls. She closes her eyes and lets her mind go blank.

As she opens her eyes once more, she finds herself in a memory. The sounds of the forest, that calm her naturally, are all around her. She is a kid again and in front of her, Neteyam holds a big fish impaled with an arrow. He had just fished it and he is showing it excitedly to their dad, who is already crouching in front of him.

Liläk gives her father a look, a bit surprise that they ended up in the same memory. She looks in front of her and sees her mother a bit further ahead, looking at Neteyam with joy in her eyes.

As Neteyam sees Liläk beside him, he shows her the fish excitedly, a big smile forming in his face, Liläk looks at him happily.

-Look what I caught!-Neteyam tells Jake, his voice is joyful.

-Wow.-Her dad exclaims softly as he takes the fish. There is a contrived expression in his face, but Neteyam doesn't seem to notice.-It's a big one.

-It was in that pool, by the rocks.-Neteyam explains as he points. Jake and him take the fish off the arrow together.-Right were you said.

Some tears leave Jake's eyes. Liläk softly holds his hand. Neteyam looks at her worriedly, his twin returns the look but she looks at him reassuringly, nodding almost imperceptibly. Out of the blue, Neteyam is older, just like he was the last time Liläk ever saw him.

-What is it dad? Why are you crying?

Jake tries to shake it off as he approaches him a bit, putting his hand beside Neteyam's head.

-I'm just happy to see you...boy.-Their father whispers to him. Neteyam is a bit confused and gives a side look to Liläk, she smiles softly, happy to see his brother's playful self again.

-I'm happy to see you too.-He beams. Liläk is happy to confirm that the waves of happiness and faith she had been feeling were Neteyam all along. She smiles at him, Neteyam looks at his father, he is a child again.

-It's Liläk's turn.-He declared, turning to look at her.

-I don't know if I can...-do it without you. She completed in her mind.

-Of course you can Li...You can do anything.-Neteyam told her, just like he had all those years ago, putting a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

She smiled and her eyes welled up in tears, but they weren't sorrowful, they were so many things at once, joyful, for hearing her brother's words once more, filled with faith, because he was still with her in some kind of way and a bit sad, because tears always are in some way.

After Liläk looked at Neteyam once more, taking him in, her brother looked at her just as intently, they understood each other without words and so, Neteyam smiled at her and looked at their dad once more.

-Here,-He stretched the bow to him.-you try, that way Li can see you and it may convince her to do it.

Neteyam got out of the water and motioned Liläk to go beside him so that they could see their father shoot the arrow.

Jake looked at Liläk and she smiled and nodded at him approvingly. She got out of the water and joined her twin.

-Oh okay.-Their father said, his voice still a bit strained due to the emotion.-Did you leave any for me?

-Mmm...maybe.-Neteyam shrugged jokingly as he looked at Liläk. She smiled at him and held his hand. Jake laughed at them.

Liläk felt happier than she ever had in years.

"I see now I can't save my family by running. This is our home. This is our fortress. This is were we make our stance."

After everything they had been thought, there was only one thing for certain: this family was her fortress and she wouldn't lose anyone else. She owed it to Neteyam, so she wouldn't stop fighting until they were safe...she would protect her fortress, whatever it took.