Chapter 20 - Little mouse you are the light of my world

Aden

"Kidnaped!" I roared in booming rage. "How could you let her be kidnaped? From what I've heard you don't have much rogue issues in this area. So please enlighten me with how this could have happened."

They failed my mate and now she's a broken shell of what she could have been. They even failed her mother that never made it out alive. My mate made it out alive it seems but at what cost? At such a young age to live with all that pain and suffering she fought to the end and got out.

My mate was a survivor.

My wolf, despite his purer furry at the men before me, mentally puffed out his chest in approval that our mate was a fighter, a survivor.

"The rogues weren't from around here. When they took them from us under our nose, we reached out to your pack who promised to help but heard nothing from. So, I'm sorry if I'm not sorry for our pack never giving up on her and her mother while they were lost to us." Brendon the new Alpha spoke with all his heart. "I was young but even I felt how our whole pack lost more than you think that day. The day she came back to us was a happy joyful day but also one of sorrow. The lose of her mother and then soon her father of heart break was too much for her. All we could do was be there for her one step at a time. I was all the family she had left and yes when I was older, I wanted to hunt down those who did this to her but she didn't need avenging she needed us as her crutch so she didn't have to bear it all on her own."

Brendon was red in the face but still held his composer. For someone only a year or two into being an Alpha he truly was fit for the role. Despite my mate being his cousin, he truly cared for his pack members, everyone of them. I couldn't help under all my rage and confusion but respect him as a man and an Alpha.

Breathing in I tried to calm my wolfs rage as well as my own before I spoke again. "So, the rogues that took her?"

"According to my father, the pass Alpha, Alexa had said a strong man saved her. Said to her that 'he took care of them.'" Brendon understood my question and continued. "I'm sure you can guess we also suspect the man might have been a hunter that saved her but still to this day scratch our heads about why they did."

All I can think of was Nolan who was in the car and covering his sent from Brendon's pack as to not worry them. Was Nolan the same hunter or maybe there were more hunters out there like him.

"What's with the waffles?" Was all I could ask breaking the quiet as Brendon and his Beta laughed with no answer.

-

We talked only shortly that day with little detail of what happened to my beautiful broken Luna. He tried to help me understand but I was naive and stupid in thinking I didn't need his advice. I was her mate I should know how to look after her. Oh, how wrong I was.

I knew she needed me but she also needed me to protect her when her life was being threatened. Now that what haunts her is back and she's...

I held her body in mine as we sat on the floor, her on my lap. The photo's scattered on the floor, the cause of her state. It broke my heart when she called my name with a signal tear in the corner of her eyes. If I wasn't scared to lose her, I would be ripping through the forest trying to track down the monsters haunting her beautiful little head.

Alexa was awake and aware of all the goings around but she looked distant and catatonic. Her brain was shutting down from the pure panic. I wish I had the power to erase the memories from her brain and bring her peace. I know once I put those little dogs to bed it will take time to rebuild her sense of safety but I'll wait till the end of days for her.