15

CHAPTER 15

By some miracle, Erìhe had escaped Neteyam's parents without a long lecture.

Though Erìhe knew that both Neytiri and Jake suspected something, she was willing to live with it. It was fine.

While she was spared from having to sit through a certain uncomfortable lecture she at all costs wished to avoid - Neteyam had not been as lucky.

He had been so embarrassed to sit through a late breakfast with Erìhe after hearing all kinds of things from his father. And Jake spared no details. So as one could imagine, it was very awkward sitting across from her as they ate. He did not know where to look.

After eating breakfast with Neteyam, Erìhe had left him to go find her new friends. She had found them by the beach sitting in a small circle, working on some kind of crafts. As she neared them, Erìhe could see that it was not only Riik'o, Aluva and Níawi there, but Tsireya had joined them as well.

"What are you guys doing?" Erìhe asked as she tapped Aluva on the shoulder, sitting down cross legged beside her. She looked around at the girls and noticed that they seemed to be making bracelets.

Instead of answering her, Riik'o reached over to run her hands through Erìhe's hair, "You took out your braids," she said sadly.

Erìhe smiled guiltily, "I was trying to do something nice for someone - I'm sorry." She thought she saw Níawi giving her a funny look at that, as if to ask who and what - but Erìhe ignored it.

Riik'o laughed, "Well, don't worry! I'll do them again!" She shuffled to stand behind Erìhe and immediately set to sectioning her hair.

Tsireya laughed at her friends enthusiasm before holding up her unfinished bracelet, "We're making bracelets."

Erìhe could not nod due to Riik'o tugging at her hair, so she merely hummed, "For who?"

Tsireya blushed, smiled and looked down. Níawi spoke up, "For the boys that we like," she giggled.

Erìhe looked around at the girls with a smile, "You all like someone?" She questioned with a cheeky smile on her face.

"Don't you?" Aluva asked, nudging her with her shoulder. Riik'o scolded her for making Erìhe move, and she apologized with a laugh.

Erìhe shook her head, "No."

"What?" Níawi asked, "Not even that tall boy you came with?"

Tsireya rolled her eyes at her fiend who had not bothered to learn their names, "His name is Neteyam."

Níawi held up a dismissive hand, "Whatever," she said, her eyes trained on Erìhe. "Not even him?"

Erìhe frowned, "Why do you sound so shocked?"

"Well, at first I thought you two were siblings because you seemed to always be arguing - but then you said you aren't family and I just thought you liked each other," Níawi explained.

"So you don't like him?" Aluva asked as Erìhe bit her cheek to stop herself from laughing. "I heard you two snuck out last night and returned only this morning. His parents were so worried they almost alerted the Olo'eyktan."

Riik'o gasped and shoved her head in front of Erìhe's face, "Is that why you took out your braids? Did he not like them? Should I try a different style?"

"No, no, no," Erìhe chuckled, "I liked the braids, I don't care if he likes them or not. Just do them again," she shrugged.

"You truly don't like him?" Aluva asked again, a disbelieving smile on her face.