16

CHAPTER 16

Learning about the ocean was probably Erìhe's favorite part about living with the Metkayina. It was a gorgeous place. On more than one occasion, Tsireya had taken them on tours within their reef.

One evening she had taken them to see some ethereal jelly-like creatures that glowed. She had told them that they helped the person who wore breathe.

Other times they just swam around on ilu, racing each other and playing tag. They could do that now since the Omaticaya had learned how to hold their breath. Erìhe had sworn she'd never get it right, but turned out she had learned faster than Lo'ak.

One morning after breakfast, Erìhe was walking down the beach with Lo'ak. They had not spent a lot of time together lately, as she had made new friends and he loved spending time with Tsireya - so Erìhe had practically forced him to go in a walk with her. Just so that they could catch up.

"So.. how are you and Tsireya?" Erìhe nudged him teasingly as they walked along the shore.

Lo'ak looked away and started walking toward the forests so he could hide the blush dusting his cheeks, "What do you mean by that?"

"You know what I mean," Erìhe laughed.

"No I don't," Lo'ak denied. Then he looked her over, "I like your hair - your bracelet too."

Erìhe knew he purely said this to change the topic, but she would not push him to speak of something he didn't wish to speak of. She looked down at her bracelet and grimaced, "Liar," she pushed him gently. Aluva had truly done her best to save the jewelry, but it was still uneven and had odd holes here and there.

Lo'ak laughed as he stepped away from Erìhe to avoid her hands, "I'm not! It's the prettiest I've ever seen!"

Erìhe narrowed her eyes at him playfully, "Now you're just being mean." She reached over to tug on his tail, but he jumped out of the way while still laughing. Then her eyes fell on a familiar group of teenagers close to the water. "What's happening there?"

Lo'ak turned his head in the direction she was looking at and he squinted as he tried to make sense of the scene. Then his eyes abruptly widened and he looked furious, "Those sons of bitches," he said angrily before heading in the direction of the boys.

Erìhe followed behind him, keen to see what was going on. As they neared, she could see Kiri in the midst of four Metkayina boys - Ao'nung among them. Immediately her face mirrored Lo'ak's anger and she hurried up to walk side by side with him.

The boys seemed to be trying to hold Kiri's hands while making fun of her.

"Hey!" Lo'ak called as him and Erìhe neared the group. The boys and Kiri looked back at him as he approached, "Back off, fish lips," he said as he stepped into the shallow waters.

The boys watched as Lo'ak approached and walked right up to Ao'nung. The older boy had to hold his shoulders and push him further to keep some distance between them. "Oh - another four fingered freak," he laughed.

"Look at his little baby tail!" A shorter, curly-haired boy laughed as he reached over to hold his tail. Erìhe was personally offended by what he'd said and she stepped closer. The boy seemed intimidated by the look she was giving him as his grip on Lo'ak's tail slackened - though his smile and laughter had gone nowhere.

Lo'ak pushed the boy holding his tail, causing him to let go while still snickering. "Don't touch me!" He turned and pushed Ao'nung as well - for good measure.

Erìhe grimaced as she walked past the boys toward Kiri, "You okay?" She asked her, placing her hands on the girls shoulders.

Kiri smiled softly, "Yeah." Erìhe nodded before turning around to look at the boys. One of them was looking at her with a smirk, and she could tell he wanted to make a comment about how she did not belong there.