Ten Months

I: Ten Months

His head pounded, like it had been slammed into a wall and then he'd gotten drunk to the point where he couldn't think straight and went to bed after it all. Though, if Pietro woke up feeling like that, it normally didn't happen with him waking up in a god forsaken alley filled with trash and a light dusting of snow on the ground. In fact, he'd never woken up hungover in an alley beforeーespecially with the sensation of his limbs being almost frozen.

Did he get into a fight or something? And why the fuck was his shirt peppered with bloody holes? Pietro had never woken up so confused.

He groaned as he slowly stood up, wondering just how the hell he got to the alley in the first place. Last he could remember, he was having a pleasant conversation with his sister about what to eat for supper. They were laughing and joking about hating each other when they both clearly knew that wasn't the case.

Pietro took a good look at the street he was on and didn't recognize it. Additionally, he didn't even recognize any of the buildings around him. And just where was his coat? He was dressed like he was ready to run a marathon on a fall day, not like he was ready for an absolutely frigid winter day. The sun shone down brightly, but it didn't help warm him in the slightestーthe heat just reflected off the snow and the wind prevailed.

Then, Pietro started to pay attention to the people around him. They eyed him oddlyーnot that he could blame themーand some of them even laughed or whispered. But really, all he wanted to know was where he was and how to get back home. Wanda must have been worrying herself to death, or worse, she would be out searching for him.

He reached into his pocket to pull out his phone only to find it completely empty. Well, that was great. Now he'd have to go find some stupid phone to use at a gas station or something. Thankfully, that wouldn't be difficult to find. All he'd have to endure would be strange looks and frozen hands, hopefully, frostbite could be avoided because that was another problem he didn't need currently. Especially with the whole financial situation they were in.

Continuing down the street, Pietro got a bit shifty. He wasn't the type of person to care too strongly about what others thought, but to receive so many strange looks and to be stared at was not a fun sensation. He was fully aware he looked strange with the shirt and all but weren't people over-reacting a bit too much?

Or maybe they weren't.

Pietro caught sight of his reflection in a car window and almost had to do a double-take. He definitely did not remember dying his hair blonde. It was an almost white-blonde colour. Did he lose a bet and not remember it? His day just kept getting stranger and stranger. Maybe that was why people kept staring at him so intently. It wasn't every day you saw somebody with his hair colour in Sokovia.

He almost died in relief once he saw a gas station. There weren't too many people outside, and nobody was inside currently. There was only a young girl standing at the counterーshe gave him a nervous look, and didn't say anything. Not even a 'hello.' She probably thought he was a junkie of some sort and Pietro probably would've thought the same thing if he was in her place.

"Does this place have a bathroom?" He asked, using his voice for the first time since he woke up. He was pleasantly surprised to find his voice wasn't scratchy in anyway.