138. tied to you

LOVE + WAR

cxxxviii || tied to you

Maria wakes to the pleasant scent of pancakes and raspberries, smiling to herself as she stretches her limbs and shrugs Regulus' The Beatles T-shirt over her head. She yawns, checking the time and seeing that it's half past eight in the morning and she pulls on some socks before padding down the steps of the cottage.

"Morning." Regulus greets her as he tips another pancake off of the pan and onto a plate. She smiles at him, pressing a kiss to his cheek and looking to wear Nova is lay awake on the thick and folded duvet from the spare room.

"Hi, sweetheart." Maria says excitedly, kneeling beside her and lifting her into her arms, pulling her against her chest and Nova makes a noise of contentment against her mother's comforting embrace. "Did you give her some milk? Sorry I wasn't awake—"

   "She was fine with the bottle, don't worry." Regulus chuckles, shaking his head and walking over with the two plates in his hands, pressing a kiss to her forehead and setting them on the dining table.

On the record player, Maria hears the faint sound of Starman by David Bowie playing as she sits down with Nova still held against her. Regulus chuckles slightly, knowing that Maria is always the same in the morning, not being able to let go of the baby.

   "She's a month old." Maria whispers, flattening her hand against Nova's small back, pressing a kiss to the baby's temple. "How do we slow down time?"

Regulus chuckles at her question, "we can't, I'm afraid, my love." He says as he swallows some of his own pancake. "Soon she'll be going to Hogwarts."

"Oh, stop." Maria shakes her head at his taunting tone making him grin. "I wish my Mum and Dad could've met her." Regulus' grin falls into a sad smile, reaching over the table and grabbing her hand gently, bringing her knuckles to his lips. "They would've been such good grandparents, y'know?"

"I do." Regulus says softly. "I'm just sorry that my family's such a waste of time." Maria smiles sadly this time, bringing his knuckles to her lips and he smiles with a small laugh. "Come on. Get dressed, we have things to do."

"Like what?" Maria laughs as he carefully tugs her to her feet. "Reg!" She groans as he gives her a smug shrug and wanders away from the dining table.

Eventually, Maria is dressed in some straight legged jeans and a beige woollen jumper that's slightly frayed as it hands loosely from her shoulders. Regulus is smiling as he joins her in the living room where she's sat with Nova in her arms and she sees he's wearing some jeans and a black T-shirt, his hair unruly and untamed as usual.