41. Burger Kings is Magically Delicious

Chapter 41

Warning: Has violence but isn't too graphic or gory. I promise :p

~*~

"What do you mean there is nothing you can do?" Jeremy hisses, his eyes narrowed at Officer Lee.

"Unless we have tangible evidence against the 'Blood Kings' there is nothing we can file," Officer Lee says, referring to Cordero's gang. "we can only keep tabs on them."

Coda stares hard at the table, unsurprised as I gape at the police officer.

"Cordero sent his men to attack Coda and I three times!" I yell, suddenly furious as I stand.

"I understand that Miss Reed but I cannot file-"

"Forget filing anything! Can't you help us! Protect us or something?" I ask, feeling the panic within my chest. "They are out to kill me and you can't even-"

Coda tugs my hand and I look down at him to see him gently shaking his head.

I sit down in a heap, feeling the energy leave my body. Yelling at this cop would do no good.

"Please help us," I whisper, pleadingly.

Officer Lee swallows hard, his eyes softening as they peer into mine. "I will do everything in my power to keep you and family safe Miss Hazel but my department will not make a move on the 'Blood Kings' without sufficient evidence. My department has spent nearly a decade accumulating trails that could led to evidence to arrest members of the 'Blood Kings' and if we act now, when we are not ready, all those years of careful work will go down the drain because the 'Blood kings' will know that we are onto them. we need to know how many members there are, what their week spots are and we only then can we bring them down."

"So do you suggest we wait?" Jeremy asks, his eyes hard.

"I ask that you stay out of trouble the best you can while we continue to investigate Cordero Martinez," Officer Lee says regretfully. "We have no record on Cordero. The only thing we can do is to begin to take down a few of his members that already have outstanding criminal records."

"Of course Cordero doesn't have a record. He has his members do his dirty work," Coda says, his voice hard.

Officer Lee pins a calculating look on Coda, speculating him. "You seem well acquainted with Cordero's tendencies."

"I used to work for him," Coda responds, staring down Officer Lee. Coda's voice is strong and unashamed.

I gape at Coda. "Coda," I hiss.

"He took me and my little brother in as a child. He gave us a home after my mother died. In return, I stole cars and did deeds for him. That isn't a surprise to you though, is it Officer Lee?" Coda asks, tilting his head to the side and smirking.

Officer Lee nods slowly, a tick in his lower jaw. "No Mr. Williams, I have thoroughly reviewed your... records," he says.

Coda nods and clenches his fists so tight I'm worried he is going to swing.

"Just so we can cut the Bullcrap, let me clear about what you are saying," Coda says, seething.

"You can't do anything about Cordero even though everyone knows he is the head of the 'Blood Kings' because he doesn't have a record and yet the moment I screw up again, I will end up in jail because I do have a record."

Everyone is silent, Jeremy watching the exchange before us as I feel my blood run cold.

No, that couldn't be it. There was no way they'd throw Coda in jail-