CHAPTER 69

Valerie's POV 

Warmth spread through my body at the thought of having a special day with him. It replaces the displeasure I felt for his actions earlier and I continue to take in his features as he stares out of the window till the car stops.

Why is he always sweet and kind to me despite everything I have done?

"Here we are", his deep voice interrupts my thoughts and he gets out of the car to open the door for me. "Close your eyes", he whispers into my ears the moment he pulls the car door open and leans fully in so that I can smell his lovely cologne.

I do not oblige to his command but continue to watch him, wondering what it would feel like to be madly in love with him. 

Will he still be as sweet as he is to me right now? Will he be faithful like he is to me right now? Will he love me forever and not stop loving me for a second?

The way I react to his touch tonight is confusing the hell out of me. His actions keep confusing me too and I don't know what to do or say to him about how I feel.

Sometimes, I wish he keeps touching me while other times, I don't want him to touch me. Sometimes, I admire him so much that I wish I could reveal that fact to him while other times, I just want him to leave me alone.

Sometimes, I feel insecure while other times, I feel like the most confused human ever because I don't know what I feel for him.

I keep reminding myself that Ryan isn't Fred but I can't deny the fact that Fred was also sweet to me when we first started. I enjoyed his company so much that I was already dreaming of forever with him.

"Val", he calls out, pulling me out of my trance. "We have just 10 minutes to go before the end of our date."

A reminder.

I specifically told him it should be for just 30 minutes. I know I was anticipating all the outings he had planned out for us ever since he took me to that party but after his revelation that night, I didn't know whether going ahead with it was ok or not.

I didn't want to come out today. I was really not in the mood. I haven't been in the mood for anything for two days. All I think of is how he always confesses how much he loves me and the way he just did that to me shamelessly a while ago.

It makes me wonder why he isn't giving up.

Before I can take a step down, he picks me up in bridal style as a low gasp escapes my mouth in surprise.

"You are wasting our precious time, woman", he points out as I gaze up at him.

Fred and Ryan are two different people. Fred is my past while Ryan is my present but what I can't figure out is what I feel.

He drops me immediately, holding my face in between his hands. "Close your eyes now", he orders calmly with a light smile on his face.

I oblige, my curiosity at its peak now. What is this about? Where are we? 

"Do not peep, please!" he mentions over a raised voice as he twirls me around and slides his hands over my face. "Now, take a step", he instructs and I obey. "Take another and another and another."

I continue to take the slow steps as he instructs me, my heart almost bursting out of my chest in intense, full grown curiosity that is desperate to be satisfied.

"Stop!" he commands with a tone full of authority.

The tone works on me because I stop immediately.

"Are you ready?" he asks me and I nod, still feeling his hands over my eyes hiding me from seeing the surprise he has for me.

"Here we are!" he finally takes his hands off me and I blink to bring back the light to my eyes.

I see nothing. I blink again and glance around. Still yet, nothing.

Where are we? Where is the so-called surprise?

I twirl back to face him squarely so I can ask him what this is about when I notice his absence behind me.

Instead, I see a trail of red roses on the floor with scented white candles. We are inside somewhere.

A room?

The light is off but the light from the scented candles are illuminating the whole place. I turn around again to see three men with guitars.

Before I can say anything, they begin to play and sing me a happy birthday song.

Realization dawns on me and I gasp loudly, clamping my hands over my mouth as tears spring to my eyes.

How could I have forgotten that today is my birthday? Why didn't mother and father call to wish me a happy birthday? If only she had called, I would have remembered that today is my birthday and not let myself drown in self-pity since the break of the dawn for the confusion I feel.

I look around for the sight of someone familiar but no one is in sight except for the three men and a lady approaching with a bouquet.

I spent all my life in our mansion. I never thought I would spend my 25th birthday somewhere else. My parents always come into my room every morning of my birthday to wish me a happy birthday. 

We usually celebrate each other's birthday by having a special dinner at home with an expensive wine like the one Ryan got from that restaurant.

Today, no one wished me a happy birthday this morning because I no longer live with my parents. I live with a man who is my supposed husband.

I never thought he knew my date of birth. I never thought he would do something like this for me. 

Fred never did something like this for me. I always anticipate his text messages every morning of my birthday for the four years that we have been together. He never texts.

I always remind him. He never buys me gifts even on my birthday but Ryan is doing this for me when our meeting isn't even up to a year yet.

"Here, ma'am!" The lady stretches the bouquet towards me with smiles all over her face.

I drop my hands from my mouth and take the bouquet, a tear rolling down my eyes.

The song stops and I turn to the men. They all bow with cheerful smiles on their faces before disappearing.

Now, I am left alone.

Where the hell is Ryan?

I spin around, desperate to see him and tell him how happy and grateful I am. Suddenly, music booms into my ears, and Ryan appear from nowhere.

"A sweet music from your favorite musician", he mutters into my ears as my back hits his body and he slides his hands around my neck.

I feel the coldness of something around my neck and I gaze down to see the shining diamond necklace.

"Ryan…"

He spins me around to face him again. "We have five minutes left. We will talk when we get home", he says with a smile.

I gulp and nod as we dance. He spins me around and pulls me into his chest, his hands around my waist and my two hands on his back.

I can barely think of a thing. All I feel right now is the swelling of my heart and the desire to let out my tears.

Tears of pain I have been holding in. Tears of joy for having a good man in my life. Tears of mixed feeling.

Ryan spins me round and round and slams me into his chest again. Because of the force with which he slams me against his chest, my two hands rest on his chest as well and I look up at him.

His face speaks volumes of words as we stare at each other.

"Our time is up", he mentions before I can say anything. "Let's go home."

He grabs my hand and makes to go out of the door but I stay put, making him halt. 

He looks back with his brows arched. "What…"

Another tear rolls down my eyes and I yank my hand off his hold before slamming my body into his in a tight hug.

****

Do you think Valerie has finally accepted him? What do you think is making her hold back? Is she still confused with her feelings?

Air your views and don't forget to vote.,❤️