20

CHAPTER 20

       "We are here," Tsireya announced. Erìhe and the Sully children - minus Lo'ak - were following her and Rotxo on their ilu. After lunch, Rotxo had suggested they go out to see - as he said it - something cool. "This is the cove of the ancestors. Our most sacred place."

Erìhe swam beside Tuk and Kiri as she looked around in awe. The place was simply stunning. The sun shone down on them as they looked around at the floating mountains. Though they had floating mountains back in the forest, this was so different compared to them.

They could see as animals flew high in the sky and Erìhe wondered if her ikran would like it there. She probably would.

"Eclipse is the best time of day to be here," Tsireya explained as the Omaticaya held their hands before their eyes to look up at the disappearing sun. Due to the late hour, Tuk had to beg her mother to let her come - and had been so happy when she was allowed to go.

The group carried on as the place became dark. Erìhe's eyes got used to the dark soon enough, and she marveled the bioluminescence that was evident in the water below them.

"This is it," Tsireya said as they all swam above a particularly bright spot in the water. Erìhe looked down and could see a large tree like plant in the water. "This is the spirit tree," Tsireya told them, motioning to the tree below.

Kiri smiled as she looked at the sight below them.

They all dove under the water, leaving their ilu behind on the surface - they would not require them while visit the spirit tree.

As they made their way lower, Erìhe grew happier of the fact that she had successfully learned their breathing technique. When they reached the beautiful leaf-like branches of the tree, Erìhe reached for her queue from over her shoulder and saw from the corner of her eye as Neteyam did the same beside her.

As she connected to the tree, a sense of relief and belonging washed over Erìhe and her eyes fluttered shut. Maybe it was sad, but the only time she ever felt that she belonged, was when she was directly connected to one of the spirit trees.

It was also the only time that she got to see her parents.

Today she saw her father.

Erìhe had never really met him - even as a baby - and perhaps it was why she visited him so often.

A large smile crept on her face as she took in her surroundings. They were home. Back in the forest by a stream where she often found her father.

Apparently it had been her fathers favorite place.

"My daughter."

Erìhe whirled around, her smile growing as her eyes met her fathers. He was a strong man who always wore his warrior attire. Not once had Erìhe visited him and there was not bow in his hand - no matter when she visited him, he always has it on him. Aa if it were a part of him.

"Dad," she happily ran into her fathers arms and hugged him tightly. Every time she visited, she wished that it could be real.

That is not to say that this was not true - her father was real. But he was no longer alive. She wished dearly that he could still be there - watching her grow up.

"You have grown since last time I saw you," her father chuckled as he pulled away to inspect his daughter. Erìhe blinked back tears as she felt his hand on her cheek.

"It has only been a month," she chuckled.

"It feels like so much longer than that," her father responded.