Chapter Forty

Harper

After receiving my mother's letter, I decided I wanted to see her in person before our daughter was born.

Our due date is approaching fast; it doesn't seem like two minutes ago that I found out I was pregnant. I didn't believe it was real, and sometimes I still don't.

"Are you ready to leave, Angel? We haven't got long until your grandfather gets here." Who would have thought that the head of the Mexican cartel would be coming here for my baby shower?

After all the bad things I heard about my grandfather, I've learned he's the most misunderstood man there is. Behind his hard face is a kind old man who is trying to make up for his past. Yeah, he has a past but so does everyone, and that's why after a long couple of days, I decided to forgive my mother.

If I can forgive my grandfather for his past. I can forgive her, and I know that will help in her recovery; we might never have a normal mother-daughter relationship, but all we can do is try.

"Yeah, I'm ready; you'll have to zip my boots up. I can't bend down." I smirk as I watch him drop to his knees.

"We should really think of names for this little one. It won't be long until she's here."

I know I'm 33 weeks pregnant. The midwife said she could come anytime from 37 weeks which doesn't give us long to find a name that we like at least we have the nursery all ready for her.

"I had loads of ideas for boys but none for girls." I shrug my shoulders. At the fact, our daughter will end up getting called child number two if we don't find one.

"When we hold her in our arms, I'm sure it will come to us, Angel, if we haven't found one by then." Let's hope so.

"I have been thinking if today goes ok with my mum, I might show a photo to Gabriel and see how he reacts to her. If he acts scared, then I won't ever let her see our children, but if he doesn't, then what would you think about him having her in his life?"

I know this might be hard for him, seeing as his mother is dead because of me but with my mum, it's a different situation.

"We will take it one step at a time, Angel. See how today goes. Then if it goes well, we will do that. I just don't want you to get hurt, Angel. You've been through enough." He kisses my head, making me feel so much better.

I don't know why I was so nervous to tell him. "Come on. We really are going to be late if we don't leave now." Matteo helps me up before leading me downstairs.

We kiss Gabriel goodbye and sign to him that we will be back in a couple of hours. Not like he will care, he's too busy playing monster trucks with Bianca and Enzo.

"Take your time, I still need set, and this little monkey is going to help me, arnt you?" I still can't get over how well Bianca can sign. I owe her a lot. I know if it weren't for her, Gabriel wouldn't have come on this well.

Gabriel smiles up at her as he signs the word yes. My heart melts at how well he has come on. Who would have thought the little boy that was so scared of everything and didn't know a thing is coming on, amazing.

When we took him to his last check-up, the doctors were shocked at how well he was doing. They didn't expect him to do this well in the short four and a half months.

I guess it shows what love does to somebody. We've all put everything into it to make sure he gets the best care. "Thank you, Bianca. Give me a call if you need me to come back early." She waves her hand, telling me she will be fine, which I know she will.