Chap. 5 - Ice breakers as welcome

Despite Quiyu now being free of his 'tryout period', he hasn't changed much since. He'd still butt heads with Monkey at every opportunity he had, and vice-verca. (Y/n) did notice however that the overall atmosphere has gotten lighter, which made her genuinely happy.
"I'll have you know," Monkey said, puffing up his chest. "that when I knocked on my first master's door, I introduced myself, told him where I'm from why I left and why I was here. I laid all my cards on the table. You should take a page outta my book." he nudged Qiuyu.
"Except you're no master of mine." he smiled. 
"Just you wait you pink bastard! I'll have you on your knees!"
"Don't say it like that!" Nian Zhen shoved him, although he didn't move an inch. "How are you not embarrassed?!"
"Sometimes he just doesn't think before speaking." (Y/n) smiled, her eyebrows furrowed. "...Most of the time."
"Hey!"
"One day, you'll say something stupid to the wrong person." Qiuyu said.
"Is that a threat?" Monkey glared.

"And anyway," he changed the subject. "nevermind me, what about her?" he nodded towards Nian Zhen.
"What?!" her eyes widen, tense. "Why am I suddenly at the center of this?!"
"You don't know anything about her either, right? Same goes for the Horse."
The Horse tilted his head.
"The Horse doesn't talk though..." (Y/n) said. "And we do know enough about Nian Zhen. She felt forced to work with the Three-Horned Demon Lord because she believed she had no other options in life." she sniffed, getting emotional. "The poor thing didn't understand that one doesn't have to resort to terrible life choices, even if it all seems hopeless."
"Stop talking about me like I'm not even here!" the young demon said, her cheeks dusted with pink.
"Sure," Qiuyu kept looking at (Y/n). "but what about her life *before* that-"
"Let me put it in a stupid way, so that you can understand." Monkey stopped, making everyone stop in the process. "She's got more adventure points than you. You've only been with us for only a couple of days, you really think we're gonna be besties?"

"I'm just sayin'." he shrugged. "Who knows, maybe one day will come where you trust me more than her."
"You keep making those ominous predictions..." (Y/n)'s eyebrows furrowed. "And you're being very casual about them all."
"Yeah, we can do that too!" Monkey exclaimed and thought for a second. "One day... you will cry a river and go on a apologetic monologue about how you're *nothing* without us!"
"Wukong..." Nian Zhen sighed. "please."
"She's right Monkey," (Y/n) tapped him on his arm. "you have to be less categorical and more vague. Like..." she thought for a moment as she faced Qiuyu, though her gaze wandered as she choose her words. "One day... you might realize that, maybe... you yourself won't be enough, and you might feel forced to open up, even if it hurts, even if you don't even know what the result will be."
There was a moment of silence.
"Holy shit, (Y/n) that was creepy!" Monkey cackled.
"Even creepier than anything these guys said!" Nian Zhen pointed at the two men.
"Really? I didn't mean it that way." she scratched her cheek, flustered.

Qiuyu blinked twice and chuckled.
"You can't see it 'cause my arms are covered but I got goosebumps all over 'em." he said as the group began walking again.
The human huffed, assuming she was being made fun of.
"Well, that's how it feels!" she crossed her arms.
Seeing the grumpy look of her face, Monkey wrapped an arm around her, pulling her closer to him.
"You're cute when you're angry." he quietly said.
"I know Monkey," she sighed. "you say that everytime. I wonder what I should do to make you understand next time I get genuinely angry at you."
"That'll never happen because I'm the perfect boyfriend and I love you too much for you to get angry." that made her frown. "Come on~ can you really stay mad at this handsome fella?" he gestured to his bright smile.
She grabbed his collar with both her hands and quickly kissed him. The unexpectedness of it made him woozy a bit, then he snickered.

"Knew it!"
"Shut up."
"I know you~."
"I know you're a jerk."
"And you love me for it."
"I wanna break up."
"No you don't."
"Is *anything* I say going to break your spirit?"
"In this moment of bliss, with you? Nope!"
She blushed and rolled her eyes with a smile.