Hyrule Field

Chapter 5

Hyrule Field

Zelda could scarcely remember a time when she had felt this bored. Confined within a carriage, she journeyed across the rugged hills bordering Eldin Province. As per her father's annual tradition, he had spent the past few weeks visiting each of the six border forts in Hyrule, conducting business and addressing concerns. Previously, Zelda remained in Castletown, but now, deemed mature enough, she joined her father to learn about the provinces and the complexities of ruling a kingdom. Surprisingly, remembering the different ranks, titles, and names was easy. Not falling asleep during lengthy lessons on politics? That was not so easy.

There was little for Zelda to do now except peer at the passing countryside or observe the rest of her father's entourage: the king rode in a second carriage, flanked by two columns of Hyrulean Royal Guards arranged in a protective formation. Included in this procession were her father's attendants, her own attendants, the men caring for the horse teams, and all those attending to the party's needs. To her, it felt more like a small army than a travelling party, constantly reminding her of her royal status and, consequently, making any spontaneous adventures into the woods an impossibility.

Zelda observed the guards mounted on their steeds, maintaining a steady pace beside the carriage. She recognised many of the men and women, for they had been in her father's service for as long as she could remember.

She would much rather be riding on horseback than confined within the plush interior of a carriage. It was a suffocating reminder that, as a princess, there were rarely times when she could enjoy such carefree pleasures. Zelda had yearned to explore the fascinating hive of activity in Castletown, but her attempted escape had been thwarted by Impa, who left Zelda's attendants to escort the mud-spattered princess back to her room, whereupon she was thoroughly scolded. While the queen, her stepmother, had been amused by this, her father had been less than thrilled.

That hadn't been the only time she'd escaped from her lessons for the thrill of exploring the castle and watching the constant buzz of activity, of which there was an abundance. Zelda's father would often lecture her about the proper etiquette she must observe as the crown princess of Hyrule, but that hadn't stopped her. Yet.

Ewan, her half-brother, sometimes joined her in these escapades, but he usually preferred a game of 'rescue the princess'. He loved plays, and these were his favourite kind. He would play the part of a gallant hero, and Zelda would be the damsel in distress. Zelda detested that part; she wasn't fond of Ewan calling her the distressed damsel. Their games always ended the same way: Ewan would rescue the princess from the tower, the dragon, or whatever other misfortune had befallen her. Really, why couldn't he be the one in distress for once?

"You seem bored, Princess."

Startled, Zelda turned in her seat to see Impa regarding her from over the top of a book. Her red eyes and stern gaze usually unnerved people, but not Zelda.

"I'm not bored," Zelda countered.

"Hmm..." Impa did not appear convinced. "Truly, Zelda, you complained about not leaving the castle for months. I suggest you enjoy it while you can."

"This is hardly outside," Zelda pointed out, gesturing at the carriage seat with its plush cushions.

"No..." Impa conceded. "But if you seek something to occupy your mind, we could discuss these scrolls."

She gestured to her satchel, and Zelda was sure she could see the barest hint of a wry smile. The scrolls were in Sheikah script, and Zelda doubted they were light reading. They were probably writings about herb lore or the origins of the Flow of Magic and the denizens of the Sacred Realm.