Chapter 2.8 - Bandits (2)

Hiroka, who was in the carriage, could be seen sitting right at the edge of the seats for passengers. He no longer felt comfortable in the position in which he had previously been sitting. He felt a slight jolt every time he heard the voices of the bandits outside, who were shouting very loudly for him to hear. He tried to calm his nerves, but he can't control his body, which won't listen to him under any circumstances.

*CRASH!*

Again, Hiroka jerked. The curtained window that was next to him was there. Hiroka realized that something or someone had smashed the window at this moment. Due to the curtain blocking his view, Hiroka is unable to see it. The floor of the carriage next to him contained the broken fragments of the window. Thankfully, he avoided harm.

As Hiroka backed away from the shattered fragments, the curtain abruptly slid aside, startling him. The visage he was now staring at was that of a bandit who was smiling fatalistically in his direction.

"You're dead now!"

He heard him remark as he extended his hands toward him, but Hiroka immediately felt alarmed, causing him to react instinctively with his body. He raised his left hand, and out of nowhere, an ice shield appeared in front of him to stop the bandit from getting to him. The bandit was surprised to see that the window had heavy ice covering it at this point.

Hiroka's original body, who has been growing mentally with his father and sibling since he was a little child. And before he managed to locate Riko in an alley, he also had his first encounter with danger when he came dangerously close to being killed by two men he didn't know. He learned to instinctively keep clear of unpleasant and harmful situations. His subconscious had been conditioned to guard him against harm.

The bandit was surprised as he attempted to break through the heavy ice that was preventing him from getting to Hiroka. He pounded the ice with his fist, but all it did was pain his knuckles, causing him to groan. He chose to use his dagger in his hands since he was so furious, but not before he first stabbed it into the ice. His eyes immediately grew dim.

Riko was spotted in front of a dead bandit. His clothes were covered with blood stains, and his sword had blood pouring down from it. Panting, he. What he saw in front of him was a headless body that was lying down.

Then Riko lifted his head and noticed ice. Ice covered the window and blocked it. Riko felt bad for himself since had slipped some of the bandits he had fought and had almost put Hiroka in danger. Riko was so angered that he swing his sword at the bandit's head.

Riko was staring at the body below him with cold eyes, but he snapped out of it when he heard Asher's voice.

"Bastard, dare to harm our highness!" Riko exclaimed as he witnessed Asher knock out one of the bandits.

Asher was tired from the fight and then he settled down since he already knew it was finished. Riko, who was also looking up at him, returned his gaze. They were both visibly covered in blood. Indicating that he did well and chose wisely to execute them, Asher nodded at him.

"Will interrogate this bastard," Asher remarked as he kicked the bandit's unconscious body off his shoulder and walked toward the carriage's door. Riko did the same.

"Your highness, we've already dealt with them, but we kept one for interrogation; it appears to me that they were instructed by someone, as I heard; I'll report this incident to the Crown Prince as soon as we get at the academy."

Hiroka heard Asher and breathed a sigh of relief, but he refrained from opening the door because he was afraid of seeing the bodies. Even the bad stench outside, coming from beside the ice he formed, was slowly noticed by him. He was on the verge of throwing up because of some tiny air infiltrations that were coming in.

With some evident sweat on his forehead, Hiroka muttered, "L-let's leave and get to the academy as quickly as we can. Tell my brother everything that happened here."

Asher and Riko both bowed in front of the door and said, "As you wish" in response to Hiroka's reply. Asher then hurried to the driver's seat and grabbed a prepared rope. He approached the bandit and bound him. Riko was still in his place, surveying the surroundings. His eyes ached from staring at the dead bandits.

Riko decided to use his magic. He chanted and covered the dead from the ground. He was unwilling to see the bodies.

Riko heard Asher say, "Let's go," and he sprang into the driver's seat as soon as they were moving.

Asher turned to gaze at him after Riko had finished with the corpses. He could only see Riko's poker face, but he could tell that he was afraid of what he had done by the way his hands were shaking a little. He committed his first act of murder. His hands were now stained in blood.

Asher then turned his head away from him and proceeded to focus on the road in front of him, keeping an eye out for the tied-up knockout bandit beside him.

***

*Clip clop! Clip clop!*

The stars were already out and the sky was already pitch-black. Horse hoof noises were heard. As usual, the ride was silent, but the mood was now somewhat dreadful. The carriage's appearance was terrible.

The carriage was bloodstained, and a smashed glass was visible. The ice was gone once Hiroka dispersed them because he knew they had already left the terrible scene, but his condition was still not good. He still isn't able to forget what happened. He could still smell the blood and hear the sounds of bandits, but he tried to maintain his composure.

They had slowly arrived at the wide gate of the academy. Out the smashed window, Hiroka peered. He noticed a fountain in the middle with tiny lights on the sides. There was also a garden, but it was too dark for him to see it clearly.

Hiroka looked forward and saw a man standing firmly in place. He was the only person present. The fact that they showed up at midnight pleased Hiroka. He didn't want anyone to notice the carriage's terrible condition. Hiroka was aware that Daichi Goro was there to greet them.

Daichi was startled and his eyes grew chilly as they drew nearer when he observed the carriage's condition.

In a serious tone, Daichi asked himself, "What the hell happened?"

when the carriage pulled up. Immediately, Riko descended and flung open the door for Hiroka. Daichi moved swiftly in that direction and observed Hiroka's condition. Even though Hiroka's face was rather pale, he nevertheless smiled at Daichi.

Daichi said, "I greet the highness," Daichi greeted the highness and assisted Hiroka in descending.

"I apologize for my late arrival, Brother Daichi; something unfortunate occurred."

"This is serious."

"I'll let Asher and Riko explain everything; I don't think I can think well right now, and I want to relax for today,"

"I'll escort you to your dorm...And...both of you," Daichi looked up at the driver's seat and Riko, who was next to him.

"Take the rear carriage, and we'll meet there." Each knight gave a quick nod before relocating to the academy's back.

Hiroka then was escorted by Daichi inside the large structure that served as the students' dorm.