27

CHAPTER 27

Miraculously - Neteyam and Erìhe had stumbled home before Neytiri and Jake had arrived and they survived from the night without any form of scolding. Surprisingly Lo'ak had managed to put Tuk to sleep - though more realistically it was probably Kiri or Tsireya who had done that.

The next morning Neteyam realized that Erìhe was acting weird. A hangover was to be expected, but it wasn't that kind of weird.

During breakfast she sat directly next to Tsireya and had told Lo'ak to go fuck himself when he'd tried to squeeze in between them. Her saying that was not the odd part though. The odd part was that she had not let him get between them.

It was as if she'd been clinging to Tsireya for protection or something.

Tsireya seemed confused too, but she did not make it too obvious.

Ao'nung had been watching Erìhe during the entire time they sat in that circle eating. Neteyam did not find this weird - Ao'nung often stared at the girl. But he found the way that she responded to be rather odd. Erìhe would just smile timidly before looking away again whenever she met Ao'nung's eyes.

Neteyam knew that Ao'nung was looking for a chance to speak to Erìhe, but even when she left breakfast she stuck to Tsireya. As if her being around his sister would keep him away.

Neteyam could not lie - he was happy that Erìhe seemed to be avoiding all kind of interaction with Ao'nung.

But it also made him wonder what Ao'nung could have done wrong that caused her to avoid him in the first place.

As Erìhe was walking toward their pod, arms linked with Tsireya, Neteyam walked up to them and started walking beside them in silence. He did not know what to say with Tsireya there with them. He wanted to talk to Erìhe about why she was obvious avoiding Ao'nung but he never found a chance.

They all came to a stop in front of the Sully pod and Tsireya turned to Erìhe, "It will be just fine," she told her with a comforting smile as she hugged her goodbye.

Neteyam frowned. What would be just fine? Had he interrupted a conversation when he'd come over to them?

Erìhe nodded hesitantly, "Yeah - you're right."

Her and Neteyam watched as Tsireya started walking toward her home. As the girl disappeared from sight, Neteyam turned to look at the very tired Erìhe beside him. "Are you alright? What was that about?"

Erìhe looked up at him and he could see her guilty expression. She glanced over her shoulder back at the pod and saw Jake and Neytiri inside. She sighed before grabbing his hand, starting to walk away from the home.

"Where are we going?" Neteyam asked as he wrapped his hand around hers. Holding her hand made him nervous - but it also made him happy. Of course.

He noticed as her eyes darted around in all directions as they walked. Apparently she was still trying to steer clear of Ao'nung.

"I don't know," Erìhe replied to his question after a moment of silence. "Somewhere to talk?"

Neteyam nodded as his heart started beating quicker. She wanted to talk to him - she was leading him somewhere while holding his hand. He did not wish to get his own hopes up but he also could not help it. "Let's go this way," Neteyam quickened his pace to walk in front of her, his hand still in hers.

He lead them into the forest near the shore, near a small clearing that he had noticed once when he'd been wandering around alone.

When they came to a stop Erìhe looked around. The trees provided shadow from the sun and some cover from the shore. Though if someone looked in their direction, they would be seen. It didn't matter - she just needed to talk to him.