Demons Chapter 29

Chapter 29

After a stack of pancakes and some coffee, I'd bid Aspen farewell. She'd promised she'd call and text me as much as she could while she was in Ireland.  But I had no expectations. 

I did get to kiss her before she left, so that was at least something.  It left me feeling both optimistic about our future and depressed that I'd be without her for an undetermined amount of time.

When she'd walked away down the street, I felt cold and alone again.

I went back to the apartment to pack up my stuff.  At least Mr. Chen had given me thirty days to get off the premises.  I had twenty five of those left.  I was hoping it was enough time for me to figure out what I was going to do.

I unlocked the door and pushed it open.  I stepped over the threshold and sighed.  Everything was basically the way it was those five days ago.  I'd managed to clean up most of the mess, but there were still some things that remained broken and piled into a corner.  Like the wall unit.  I didn't have the heart or the strength to buy a new one, or attempt to put that one back together.

So I just stacked all my CDs and DVDs that hadn't been busted along the wall.  The DVD player and stereo system had been smashed, so it wasn't like I could watch or listen to anything right now. 

I collapsed onto the sofa and took in a deep breath.  The curtains at the window rustled and Bali jumped in.  She padded over to me and jumped onto my lap.  I ran my hand over her furry head.

"I'm sorry about your dad, Caden. He was kind to me when you weren't looking."

That made me smile a little.  "I know.  Thanks."

She purred softly and rubbed against my arm.  "Now that you have to leave here, where are you going to go?"

"I'm not sure.  I won't leave you though.  I made you a promise and I will keep it.  I just need some time."

She gave me one of her odd kitty smiles.  "I know and I will give you that time."

"Good."

I glanced around the place again, realizing I had a lot to do still, but didn't feel like doing any of it.  I just wanted to eat some pizza, drink a few sodas and play Xbox until I passed out from exhaustion.  Was that really too much to ask for?

"I didn't know what you wanted, so I got a Hawaiian and meat lovers."

I turned around to see Dan setting down a couple of large pizza boxes on the counter, along with a six pack of Mountain Dew.  He pulled one of the cans off and tossed it to me.

I caught it, popped the tab, and took a big satisfying gulp.  I lifted the can to him.  "Thanks, man."

"No worries."

Bali jumped off my lap and padded across the room to perch on the only remaining shelf attached to the wall.  She gave Dan a green-eyed glare.