Chap. 47

"I got tired of waiting, wondering if you were ever coming around," I sang to Dawson. "My strength in you was fading, when I met you on the outskirts of town."

He just stared at me, per usual.

I'm almost certain that he hates me.

I heard the front door open, and I leaned across the counter. "How did it go?"

And then Bryce's dad appeared in the kitchen.

My eyes widened, and Dawson immediately jumped to his feet, letting out a series of barks.

"Down D," I stated.

Dawson continued barking, his tail pointed and his ears laid back.

Bryce's dad was looking between Dawson and me, his eyes wide.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, rounding the counter and grabbing Dawson by the collar, pulling him towards the side door.

Dawson never stopped barking as I pulled him outside, closing the door behind him.

"He's not usually like that," I apologized, turning back around to face Bryce's dad.

Bryce's dad nodded, looking just as confused as I felt.

He definitely wasn't supposed to be here until Monday.

"Would you like a pecan waffle?" I suggested.

"Um, no, thank you though."

"Bryce is out," I explained. "He and Clayton are on a run. They'll be back any moment though."

"That's alright. It's probably better this way."

"You're early. Bryce said you were coming in on Monday."

"My meeting got moved up to tomorrow," he explained, his eyes still flickering around the kitchen.

Probably wondering why I was making breakfast in Bryce's kitchen.

"Well I can-" I started, and then the front door clicked open again.

"There's a car in the driveway!" Clayton's voice called. "Any idea who..." He trailed off as he came into the kitchen, his eyes landing on Bryce's dad. "...that could be," he finished. "Hello."

Bryce's dad nodded.

Clayton was flushed and sweaty, his hair sticking up at odd angles.

"This is Bryce's dad," I said, with a bit of a forced smile. "Mr. Harrison, this is Clayton, Bryce's friend."

Clayton looked over his shoulder, but before he could say anything else, Bryce came into the kitchen.

"Hey there's a car-" Bryce started, but the words died on his lips when he saw his dad.

"Yeah we've established that," Clayton said, with a nod.

An awkward silence filled the kitchen.

"So the guest room," Bryce's dad said, looking around at the three of us. "Where would that be?"

I looked over at Bryce, raising my eyebrows.

Bryce stared back at me.

Clayton nudged Bryce in the side, giving him a look.

Bryce let out a sigh. "It's this way," he muttered, stepping past his dad and storming towards the back.

"A warning would have been nice," Clayton said, once they were out of earshot.

"He walked in here 30 seconds before you guys did."

"As I said, a warning would've been nice."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes Clayton, let me pull out my cell and send you a quick text while there's a guest standing in the kitchen."