Chapter 24: A Broken Promise

In the four days Esmyrie had left for bed rest, Lo'ak and Kiri are the ones that stay closest to her.

Jake and Neytiri will go up and check on her occasionally. Jake redoing the bandages every morning and night, and Neytiri making sure she eats her food.

Neteyam though keeps his distance, usually hanging around Tuk, and if he must, do training with Roxto and Ao'nung.

Kiri usually explains the ocean to Esmyrie, what she has yet to see. Kiri is also trying to convince Esmyrie to ride an Ilu once she gets better, and after lots and lots of begging, Esmyrie agreed.

Lo'ak is usually with her in the morning, readjusting her pillow when needed or simply just talking to her.

During the day though, Lo'ak would go and sneak outside of the reef, visiting his friend Payakan.

Him and the Tulkan got close very quickly, and before he knew it, Lo'ak was telling Payakan all about the girl he likes.

"She's just so pretty, you know. Like the brightest star in the sky. She's part Omaticaya and Metkayina, her mom from the sea and dad from the forest like me. And she has this white hair that just.... It's so pretty. She's so pretty." Lo'ak would go on and on for hours explaining Esmyrie to the Tulkan, and the Tulkan would tease him for his feelings and encourage him to make a move.

Lo'ak would always decline his feelings which then always resulted in Payakan slapping water into the boys face.

Lo'ak still hasn't told anyone about the Tulkan besides Esmyrie, and he is pretty sure his father knows of his day adventures outside the reef.

Lo'ak is pretty sure his father has just given up on him.

But, once midday hits, Lo'ak will say his goodbyes to Payakan and head back home, usually going swimming with Neteyam on an Ilu, playing tag sometimes underwater with all his siblings, before going back to the hut and spending the evening with Esmyrie.

Dinner is always awkward.

Neytiri is mad at Neteyam for not looking after Lo'ak.

Jake is mad at Lo'ak for not following simple rules.

Kiri is mad at Neteyam for no longer hanging out with Esmyrie.

Tuk is mad at Jake for never swimming with her.

Lo'ak is mad at Jake for saying he brought shame to the family.

Neteyam is mad at himself for the argument he had with Esmyrie.

Esmyrie is mad at Neteyam for saying she isn't blood.

Everyone seems to be mad at everyone, and dinner is almost always quiet.

This dinner is no different, causing all of them to eat their food fast so they can hopefully go to bed and sleep off the silence and tension.

Lo'ak sits next to Esmyrie, Tuk sitting in his lap, while Neteyam and Kiri sit on the other side.

Neytiri is redoing Neteyams hair, and Jake is simply sharpening a knife, already finishing his meal.

The only sounds is Neteyams occasional grunt from his hair being pulled to harshly, the heavy breathing, and Jake's sharpening of his knife.

Tuk can't take the silence anymore and grabs Lo'ak's bowl of food from him, pushing it aside.

"Hey! I was still eating." Lo'ak points out, trying to grab his bowl but getting a slap on his hand from his little sister.

"No." Tuk says, causing Lo'ak to rolls his eyes but give into his sister.

"Okay, what?" Lo'ak asks.

"You don't have your flower in your hair." Tuk points out, and at the mention Lo'ak moves his hands to touch the flower, and to his disbelief, she is right.