2) Broken hopes!

Veronica's pov

"Doctor Veronica?"
I gasped and quickly turned around, I thought he is behind me.

"What happened? You look... Umm... Mess!"
Head nurse, Mrs. Larson said looking at me confused. She is old and will retire this year, she has worked here almost for thirty years.

I fixed my hair while giving her small smile.
"Nothing, it's just too much work..."

She hummed like she sensed the lie. her head turned towards the ward from where I have escaped few minutes ago.
"I am so sorry that you have to take other doctor's responsibility too... You are already working really hard..."
She patted my back.
"It's late... Let's have a cup of coffee together..."

Yes! I need it now.

I looked back towards the ward and my heart picked up the race again.
Is that what he was thinking all this time?
I am not that beautiful, that he wants me. I am sure with that kind of money, he can get any woman. Why does he want me?

'Think about it'
His words rang in my head again like he was compelling me.

God! What's happening?

"Vera... You are like my daughter"
Mrs. Larson grabbed my attention again.
I smiled and nodded at her.
"I think you should give Mr. Volkov a discharge now... He has recovered."

"You don't seem to like him much..."
I took the mug from her.

"I prefer to stay away from rich people..."
She smiled.
"And I will suggest you the same... I have heard many rumours about him and I don't want you to get in any problem."

"What rumours?"
I asked Curiously.

"That he is involved in some dirty work"
She scowled. Isn't every businessman is involved in dirty work. I can tell from the experience.
"And he is very famous among women, you know what I mean..."

She doesn't have to tell me. I can see that rich businessman like him won't be staying with one woman.

And to be honest, I don't care. I shouldn't care. It's none of my business.

He did offer me that but it's on me if I want to accept it or not. Anyway he will leave till morning. I shouldn't think about him.
"I know, Mrs. Larson and thank you so much for being there for me... I don't know what I will do without you..."

She smiled at me sympathetically.
"I see myself in you, Vera but the thing is, I made my choice and you can't"

"Right!... I can't!"
My smile disappeared and uneasy feeling coiled around my chest, suffocating me with unwanted thoughts.
"Thanks for your time, Mrs. Larson... I should go back now..."
She nodded in understanding.

It's been two years that I got married. This Saturday will be my second wedding anniversary.

Two years ago I fell in love with Zen. He came into my life when I needed warm shoulder. I successfully completed my studies and joined this hospital as a Doctor but I was struggling between the flexible work shifts and my brother who is disable. I love him and he is my responsibility after my father's unfortunate death in car accident.

I was dealing with my father's death, my brother's condition and work load. That time I met Zen In the hospital, Managing director of this hospital. Zen made me feel loved and special.
He took the responsibility of my brother and told me that he can walk with surgery.

I was happy after hearing that my brother can walk again so I let Zen take care of him. He sent him to another city, assuring me that he will come back on his own legs and I believed.