Chapter 25: The Killer Tulkan

Lo'ak didn't sleep that night, he couldn't. His eyes would close and he would remember the feeling of drowning, or feel like sharpness of the coral digging into his back, so instead he went out of the hut and began to work on painting the dock, hoping he can get it down in the next few weeks for Esmyrie.

His plan wasn't for the painting to be extravagant, it was to make Esmyrie feel a little closer to home, maybe even closer to her father. So, he decided to paint the dock and replicate the paintings that they had on their leaf, hoping it would be meaningful enough.

When he see's the sun rise and can begin to feel the heat along his back, he knows it is morning, and his family will be up soon, so he goes and hides the dyes and washes his hands in the water below, going back into the hut and laying on his bed as if he had been asleep the whole time.

He closes his eyes, but the memories just keep coming back, so instead he opts to sit up and get breakfast ready for his family, hoping it can maybe be an act of apologizing to his family.

His parents are the first to wake, and they are surprised to see Lo'ak working on getting bowls filled up with food.

Neytiri and Jake share a confused look, before Neytiri gets up quietly, not wanting to wake the other kids yet that are still a sleep. When she gets to Lo'ak she can hear that he is whispering to himself, or more like cursing himself out for the mistakes he has made the last few weeks at the Metkayina clan.

"Lo'ak?" Neytiri whispers, her hand going to the back of his neck, wanting his attention to be directed towards her instead of the fruit he is cutting.

"Morning mom." Lo'ak whispers back, before going back to the last at hand.

"Why are you up so early?" Neytiri gently takes the knife Lo'ak is using to cut the food and putting it down besides them.

"Couldn't sleep." Lo'ak shrugs, his head staying cast downward so she can't see the tiredness and exhaustion on his face.

He didn't need his parents to have another reason to be upset with him.

"Lo'ak, look at me son." Neytiri says gently, putting her thumb under her sons chin and lifting his face, sighing when she sees the dark circles under his eyes and the glossy look to them, as if they haven't had time to rest in hours.

"Son, did you not get any sleep?" Jake asks, now joining in on the conversation once he saw his wifes concern glance.

"It isn't that big of a deal." Lo'ak shrugs out, again, not wanting his parents to find a reason to be disappointed in him.

"Lo'ak..." Neytiri moves some hair out of her sons face, frowning when she see's that it is all messed up.

"It's okay, mom. Really."

"Son, you know you can always sleep with us if you have a bad dream." Jake tries to reason but Lo'ak shakes his head.

"No no. I'm too old for that, dad. It's fine. Really, I... I got breakfast ready for everyone." Lo'ak points to the bowls of food and the cut fruit on the tray, changing the topic to a more happy one.

Jake doesn't seem to like that Lo'ak so easily changes the topic but doesn't say anything about it, instead giving his son a nod for his kindness on helping his family out.

"Thank you Lo'ak." Neytiri says, giving the boy a kiss on the forehead before moving towards her kids, one by one, waking them up.

While Jake goes and puts all the bowls in the center of the room, Lo'ak moves to Esmyrie, shaking her slightly to try and wake her from her slumber.

"Esmy." Lo'ak whispers.

"Hmm?"

"Time to get up." Lo'ak says, smiling to her when she finally opens her eyes.