CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

THE DARKEST HOUR;
part one

THE SIX FRIENDS SAT IN the courtroom, their families behind them, as their wrongfully accused friend stood at the front of the room. Both Renna's hands were sealed, one in Atticus' and the other in Kiaras, as she watched the boy she'd grown up with stand in a blindingly-orange jumpsuit. 

The judge was talking, but half of it the blonde had droned out. She couldn't bear to listen to what was to come, but she forced herself to, because she knew she needed to. However, she already knew what the lady had to say. "-you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty." And she struck the gavel. 

Renna flinched, eyes blinking whilst Atticus tightened his grip on her hand. JJ stood up. "Your honour, he's seventeen!" JJ shouted, standing up as the people on the other side of the aisle grinned. 

"Stop," Pope mumbled, hand on the blond's chest. 

"Let's go, this is fucked," Atticus seethed, pulling Renna up by the hand and leading her outside before they got into trouble. As soon as he was outdoors, he groaned into his hands - this could not be happening. 

Renna listened to the voices around them, muttering their thank you's and gratefulness to the officers serving. She could deal with it, only just, until she heard one voice. "We did it, Ward." She looked over, a fire in her eyes. Atticus looked up too, eyes trained on the man as he started to step forward. Renna was quicker. "Listen, we've got to-"

"Hey, dick," Renna fumed, that same edge to her tone as that night. The night. The father turned around with wide eyes, trying to hide his anxiety behind his pupils as he let out a short breath. 

"Renna, darl-"

"No, you can't call me that anymore, and you know it." People had started to look over at them. As Renna continued to speak, Atticus threw them a glare, causing most of them to immediately shrink away. Some, however, still stayed looking at someone else's business. "You've really got the nerve to come here. I'll do it all over again." Atticus smirked from behind her, eyeing the man who looked between the two. 

Ward furrowed his brows. "Do what again? Richard, what-"

"No, you shut up," Atticus interrupted, walking forward to grab the father by his collar and shove him backward. 

"You, both of you, are murderers!" Renna shouted, dragging the attention of the policemen nearby. 

"Hey, calm down," Shoupe said, walking in-between the Pogues and the Kooks. Renna looked over the man's shoulder as he forced Atticus' hands away, who stepped down with a scowl in Ward and Dick's direction.