CHAPTER 77

Valerie's POV 

She is either pretending or completely unaware of what happened in her presence that day.

I won't take this as a yes to the doubt about my mental health. Don't crazy people know they are crazy?

I am fine. Absolutely doing fine. There is nothing wrong with me or my brain. My brain is in perfect condition.

Just like her usual self, she smiles at me sweetly as we are having dinner, passes me the salt, stretches the jug of fruit juice at me, and even pats my hand simply because she feels sorry for the bandage that is still over my head.

I forget most times that I still have this damn thing on my head. The way it makes me so uncomfortable sometimes is what makes me remember while other times, it is when people flash me pitiful looks just like Ryan's mother is doing right now.

I am picking at my food because I can't help the confusion I am feeling right now. I know I am right but I still don't know what else to think about all of this.

I thought coming here would resolve everything because I was so sure Ryan's mother will reveal the truth and tell her son that I am right but the woman before me isn't saying anything. She isn't even acting like I was here that day.

Didn't she like me? Is she just pretending to save her husband from suffering for his actions? Is something wrong with her memory? Did she call me here on purpose that day?

As much as I want to hate her for doing this, I can't. The look she darts my way at intervals shows how much she is worried about me because of the bandage.

I barely feel any pain now. It wasn't like this two weeks back. I could barely turn my neck without feeling intense pain.

Glancing around the room, Ryan is still chatting with his father which is kind of unbelievable to me. They are never on good terms.

Anita on the other hand is silent, just like I am while their mother occasionally chips in their conversation with either a short laugh or a single word of agreement.

I have no idea what they are talking about.

My attention is slowly shifting away from Mrs. Lorenzo and back to her daughter. Mrs. Lorenzo is as healthy as a horse just like Ryan said and I am so sure it is impossible to fake being healthy.

Something is definitely wrong somewhere and I am going to find out what it is, with either Ryan's or my Father's help or even none.

Anita wasn't this quiet the last time we saw each other. She was giddy with excitement on our wedding day, giving me the impression that I was going to have another friend soon.

Does she know something? Should I ask her if she knows what is happening?

When did she come back from college? 

She is always away in college and Ryan never mentioned that she was back and we would be having dinner together.

Our eyes interlock for a second and she looks away. I continue to watch her until she pushes her plate away and drags her wooden chair backward.

"Excuse me", she mutters as she leaves the dining room, my eyes following her.

Nobody notices her absence. They are still talking about nothing and everything. This is probably because I have zero interest in what they are conversing about.

I shift my chair backward too, making Ryan look up in curiosity.

I smile at him. "I need to use the bathroom. I will be back in a jiffy."