Twelve.

A/N
You got me over 300k reads! That's so awesome! Thank you! Please let me know if you are enjoying this so far. I only want to give you guys a story you're going to enjoy reading, so I appreciate feedback.

But here's chapter 12, and I have a feeling you're all going to like this one. Enjoy, my lovelies.

-JadedEmber_

Twelve.

A new normal. That's what we're doing. Creating a new normal.

Christmas came and went, and we even invited Auntie Claire and Uncle Jack to stay over for the new year.

"You both seem happier," Auntie Claire had said over dinner, sipping on her red wine as I laughed at something Luke had said. "I think after everything you both have been through, it's nice to see you both smile."
And while it had probably been a passing comment, a mere observation to the grieving Luke and I have been going through, both struggling to get over the loss of my mum, I couldn't help but read into it.

Luke has seemed happier since I've been home. His playfulness more present than usual, a smile often homed on his face, and he seems more himself. Like the Luke I knew when he was in love with my mum. Carefree. Happy.

And his happiness seems to be reflecting my own mood too, because everyday it's becoming easier to smile, and to laugh, and to not dwell on how I lost my mum so young.

But sometimes I fear it's only becoming easier for me because I have Luke. I wouldn't have been able to get over the loss of her without him. I wouldn't have been able to cope on my own. And in a fucked up way, I'm glad I had him experience the loss with me, knowing I wasn't feeling the pain alone, even if that does make me selfish.

I know neither of us will ever fully heal from losing my mum. But everyday seems to be less difficult. And while we both miss her everyday, each new day that comes seems to be brighter, as if the dust is finally settling, and we're both finally learning how to live without her. Creating our own new normal. Whatever that may be.

And when Uncle Jack asked us all what our new year resolutions were, I had to lie, and tell them I wanted perfect grades at college, because I couldn't tell them that mine were actually to keep my hands to myself, think before I speak, and not make Luke cry again because of me.

And while I have been trying, God knows I've been trying, I can't help but notice his eyes on me more frequently than they used to be. And I don't know if it's because I'm paranoid of my own behaviour, paranoid he'll send me away again, or if I'm just reading too much into something I want to become reality.

But those blue eyes, those mesmerising blue eyes, they follow me.

He's probably cautious. Anxious. Worried about what my next move will be, what fucked up words will come from my mouth next. Fuck, even I've been worried about what could be misconstrued.

But his touches haven't stopped. His hands always tucking my hair behind my ear, so much so that I purposely never wear my hair up anymore, always longing for his touch. An open invitation for him to touch me.

Even now, looking at my reflection through my bedroom mirror, my hair is down and I fiddle with the ends of my curled hair as I inspect my outfit choice.

My body fills out my black dress more, since the last time I wore it. Having gained weight after being at Auntie Claire and Uncle Jacks house, and treating myself over the holidays.

My hips are fuller, my thighs thicker, and my cleavage is more noticeable than it has ever been. The thin black fabric of my dress stretching over my chest in a way that makes my nipples far too noticeable, and just as I change my mind about my outfit choice, and begin to unzip the back, Luke knocks on my bedroom door, and lets himself in.