82

Colby and I spent the next couple days in LA. Most of our time was spent at Sam's house with everyone.

It was so nice to be able to escape for a week.

Sure, there were moments of fear and we had to limit our time out in public but it was good that neither of us got seriously injured on our trip.

Right now we were on our way to Seattle which was a somber event.

Neither of us really wanted to go back to Washington but it had to happen.

"Are you okay?" Colby asked as I nodded and looked out the window. "Yeah." I said quietly. "I wish it could be different." He said and took my hand, pulling it into his lap.

"It's not your fault." I said and looked over at him. "It kinda is, but okay." He said with a laugh.

"What if I can make it up to you though?" He asked as my eyebrows scrunched with confusion.

"What do you mean?" I asked as he grinned. "Hm..you'll see." He said then focused on the road. I've learned after a while to just not question Colby.

He loved to surprise me even though I hated surprises. I just found them to be more anxiety ridden than exciting.

We drove for a while before Colby pulled off of the highway. I was curious to see what his plan was but didn't want to ask him what it was.

After a while, Colby pulled into the parking lot of what looked like a beach.

"Are we going to the beach?" I asked as he shrugged. "I don't know." He said then got out of the car.

I laughed then watched as he jogged around the car so he could open my door for me.

"Why thank you." I said with a laugh as he offered his hand to me. "You're welcome." He said then helped me out of the car.

The sun was setting which was beautiful but had me shivering.

"Here, darling." Colby said and handed me his leather jacket. "Thanks." I said with a small smile and took if from him, putting it on.

Once it was on, we made our way onto the actual beach.

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked as we walked hand in hand down the sand. "I wanted you to have one normal night." He said causing me to look over at him.

"I wish it felt normal." I said quietly, looking at the horizon. "What part doesn't feel normal?" Colby asked, rubbing his thumb against my hand.

"The fact that there's always a chance that someone will attack us. Normal couples don't have to have weapons on them at every given moment." I said and looked straight ahead.

"Who said I had any weapons on me?" Colby asked, causing me to look over at him.

"You always do." I said as he shook his head. "Not right now I don't." He said then stopped and turned to me.

"Kat told me that you were sad about the fact that  you always felt like I was working. Even when we go out, you think I'm only ever thinking about work." Colby said and brushed my hair behind my ear.

It was true that I told Kat that. It's been getting to be lately that we couldn't be normal. I knew there wasn't much Colby could do to help that but I was still sad about it.

"So...I thought we could just have a little walk on the beach. No weapons. No working. Just you and I." He said then caressed my cheek gently.

"I'd love that." I said with a smile and looked into his eyes. "Let's go then." He said then gave me a gentle kiss before taking my hand.