Chapter 66

"Mummy!" Viraj excitedly called for his mother and opened the door that often remained locked from the outside. Luckily, today, his father had left it open and he could show her the new ball he had bought for his sister. At least that would make his mother happy and smile at him, he hoped.

However, his eyes instantly fell on the pool of blood surrounding her petite body. A sharp knife lay on the floor, near her wounded left hand.

"Mummy!" Viraj exclaimed in a grim tone and instantly ran towards his mother.

She opened her eyes slowly and looked at him. There was nothing but pure hatred in those orbs.

"It's all because of you, Viraj. I am dying because of you. Ananya and I would have lived happily if you hadn't come into my life. You were a mistake." He heard her speak...slow but steady. It seemed as if she had wanted to say all this for a very long time.

"M.mummy..." His eyes immediately moistened. He never understood clearly why his own mother hated him so much! She was supposed to love him...just like his friends' mothers loved them.

"Wh.what should I do?" He cried, completely confused. He didn't know how to stop the blood! He hadn't even learnt first-aid yet.

"Go and tell your father that now he can frame my body and do whatever he wants with it. My soul is free to go and I will not be a puppet of his desires. Never." She said as a tear drop fell on her lap. Only she knew what she was going through.

Viraj immediately turned around to call his father but froze again when he saw his father enter the room. It was the only day that he remembered seeing panic and fear in his father's eyes.

"Viraj...Viraj...VIRAJ!" Viraj came out of memory lane as his teary eyes focused on his maasi (mother's sister).

He could hear his loud heartbeat. His hands felt cold and his entire body shivered in fear. His wife was taken to the hospital, he understood. But, what scared him was...What if, she would die just like his mother did? What if, he would lose the only woman he had ever loved?

He had gone through the pain of losing someone very close...and he didn't want to go through it again.

"Where is she?" He still asked.

"She is taken to the hospital. You should go as well." Meena answered.

Viraj nodded quickly and wiped his tears. As he turned to exit, Meena asked the question that was going through everyone's mind right now at Khatri's residence.

"Why did she do it, Viraj?" Meena asked.

He stopped in his tracks but didn't turn around. He had no answer. He didn't know what to answer.

So, he walked out of his room without giving any reply.

.

.

.

TWO DAYS LATER:

"Why is she not waking up?" Viraj asked the doctor in a flat tone.

Sneha was peacefully resting in the ICU right now. Her vitals were constantly monitored by the best team of doctors.

"Sir, the fever is gone now. So, we are expecting her to wake up in an hour or so." The doctor answered after changing the glucose bottle.

Viraj nodded as he softly held her free hand and lightly grazed the top of it. His eyes fell on her left hand where a large patch of bandage was pasted.

"Wake up, Sneha. Talk to me." He whispered gently, mostly to himself.

The doctor looked at him once before leaving him with the patient. He had allowed only the doctors and nurses to enter the ICU. Even her family members were denied entrance.