TWENTY-FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOURI DON'T KNOW WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE

"I'VE NEVER SEEN SNOW BEFORE."

Diana looked over at him with wide eyes. Her hair flew around her face, getting tangled in the cold wind. "You what?"

Billy shrugged. His eyes were still watching the snowflakes as they fell and melted on the sleeve of his jacket.

It was their spring break and the pair made the spontaneous decision to go on a road trip. For the majority of the trip, Diana had made a fairly good navigator from her place in the passenger seat. The map took up her entire lap and crinkled every time she moved, but she managed to guide them just fine. It wasn't until after stopping for food that her skills diminished. Somehow, she led them to a quaint little beach town along Lake Erie.

The snow that fell in February was still frozen on the ground and with the light amount of snow falling now, the beach they stood upon was covered in a thick blanket of white. The only area that Billy could see sand was where the tide came in.

"I've never seen snow before," he repeated. There was a certain degree of awe in his voice. "Not before moving to Hawkins."

Diana raised a brow. "You're telling me that in your seventeen years of living in San Diego, it never snowed? Not even a little?"

"It did once, but I was baby so I can't remember it." From the corner of his eye, Billy could see her blur out from his periphery and leave his side. "Doesn't really count."

"That's kind of sad."

A scoff escaped him. "So is snow. Yeah, it's nice when it's falling but after that, it's just cold, wet, and makes driving a bitch— Hey!"

He spun on his heel to find Diana's hand dripping wet from the snowball she had just thrown at his back. A mischievous grin spread across her face as she quickly reached down to make another, but he was already on the move. "Come here, you little shit."

Running towards her, he grabbed his own handful of snow and launched it in her direction. His snowball hit her arm in a declaration of war.

It was a movie scene. Two teens, both hardened by life, chasing each other in a town where no one knew their names. They wore smiles like they had just won a contest and found out they were billionaires. In those series of moments, they had no care in the world.

Billy was only a few steps behind her, and when he was close enough, he pulled Diana into his arms. His girlfriend—ever the trickster—immediately placed her freezing hands on his cheeks in hopes it would force him to let go.

"Hmm, feels good," he mused instead of pushing her away.

Diana let out a resigned huff as she accepted defeat. "That's because you're cold hearted."