seventeen.

You hung up on Donghyuck the first time he called you. In your defense, the first thing he did was frantically scream at you to help him. You assumed he may have dialed the wrong number, or perhaps he thought acting like he was in grave danger was hilarious. Hence, you hung up on him and returned to peeling the tangerines you picked out. Additionally, you were having your daily relaxation time and would not like to be disturbed.

He called you for the second time. His voice was much calmer now, and you could hear the hint of irritation and betrayal when he greeted you with deadpan.

"I can't believe you hung up on me! I cannot believe you hung up on me!" He exclaimed, putting his emphasis on specific words that made it sound like he was making an obscure movie reference.

"You were screaming when I picked up the phone," you replied, your eyes trailing the white pith of your tangerines.

"And you still hung up on me!" He accused incredulously, the sound of him slapping his thighs audible enough to travel through the phone. "What if I was in trouble? What if I was being chased? Maybe I am being kidnapped right now and the driver is–no, not you, sir. I am not framing you for anything, don't worry. Anyway, what if I am being kidnapped right now and I am being transported to the outskirts, hm?"

You cleared your throat of the noodle heat and put down your leg. Tilting your head, thoughtful brows knitted to the center of your forehead, you breathed a soft sigh of annoyance before you retorted.

"Hypothetically, if you are in those kinds of trouble, I doubt I can help you much on the other side of the phone. If you were already being chased, or if the kidnapping has gone so far you are already being transported, there is not much I can do to help aside from calling the police and hoping they trace your phone's location." You counted carefully as if giving a lecture. "In fact, I may have to burn my phone or destroy it in a faraway and obscure place, taking into account everywhere I go in preparation of that has to be discreet and spotless of my footsteps. If I know your killer, they may come and find me, and that will be troubling."

"You... hmm..." Donghyuck let the joke dissolve in his mouth as he slid down on the backseat of the taxi. The only thing left on the line was his shallow breathing and a faint smirk on his face.

Your mildly amusing and unreasonably well-thought-out rambles have become a comfort of his, certainly. He hadn't registered the effect is has on him until he heard you go on and on after an unpleasant meeting with his parents; it was like walking out of school on the last day of finals week, with precaution but ultimately, free. The only thing he was unhappy about was that he had to do with the mental image of your thoughtful expression instead of having you in front of him.

Well, he would be seeing you very soon because he did, indeed, need your help.

"I need your help," he said, almost apologetically. "Can you come down the apartment building? And remember to bring your wallet!"

You removed your phone from your ear to stare at the calling screen briefly before putting it back to your ear. Tangerine peels were dropped in the trash bowl, and your back arched straighter than before at the sudden request. You hummed questioningly. "What happened?"

"I can explain later. Just come down, and bring your wallet!"

"Are you in trouble?"

"No–yes, if you don't help me!" He said desperately, rolling his eyes upward to muffle the frustration. "Come down now, I am almost there! Bring your–" Beeps could be heard after you cut the line. He let out an audible huff as he glared at his phone, once against riddled in disbelief that you had the audacity to hang up on him during his most vulnerable moment!