Chapter 35: The Great Game: pt 5

***Recap***

(John looks across the lab, trying to see what his friend is looking at.)

JOHN: What?

SHERLOCK (softly): Carl Powers.

***Now***

John: Sorry, who?

Sherlock (still staring into the distance): Carl Powers, John.

John: What is it?

Sherlock: It's where I began.

(Later, the trio are in the back of a taxi.)

Sherlock: Nineteen eighty-nine, a young kid - champion swimmer - came up from Brighton for a school sports tournament; drowned in the pool. Tragic accident.

(He shows John and Nikki the front page of a newspaper on his phone.)

Sherlock: You wouldn't remember it. Why should you? Well maybe Nikki, but ...

Nikki: Sorry, was in Germany at the time causing trouble. (with a thoughtful look) Or was it Russia?

John: But you remember.

Sherlock: Yes.

John: Something fishy about it?

Sherlock: Nobody thought so - nobody except me. I was only a kid myself. I read about it in the papers.

John: Started young, didn't you?

(Nikki smiled proudly at her mate.)

Sherlock: The boy, Carl Powers, had some kind of fit in the water, but by the time they got him out it was too late. But there was something wrong; something I couldn't get out of my head.

John: What?

Sherlock: His shoes.

John: What about them?

Sherlock: They weren't there. I made a fuss; I tried to get the police interested, but nobody seemed to think it was important. He'd left all the rest of his clothes in his locker, but there was no sign of his shoes ...

(He leans down and picks up a bag containing the trainers.)

Sherlock: ... until now.

(SIX HOURS TO GO. As Sherlock sits in the back of the taxi holding the pink phone and lost in thought, the woman who rang him earlier sits in her car crying in despair.)

(221B. Sherlock has shut himself in the kitchen and is sitting at the table with the trainers nearby - still in the bag - while he looks through photographs and printouts of newspaper reports of Carl Powers' death from 1989. Nikki leaning quietly against the counter with a wine glass full of blood watches her mate work. In the living room, on the other side of the closed doors, John is pacing back and forth. He stops and slides open one of the doors.)

John: Can I help?

(Sherlock doesn't react to him at all and Nikki just shakes her head 'no'.)