Chapter 39: The Great Game: pt 9

***Recap***

(The audience takes up the chant and the clapping. By the third, "Off!" Connie is rhythmically beating her hands quite hard onto Kenny's back as he drops his jacket to the floor and starts to unbutton his shirt. He grimaces in pain but then turns a false smile towards the audience.)

***Now***

(KENNY PRINCE'S HOUSE. Kenny is still standing by the fireplace, looking thoughtfully at a framed photograph of Connie holding her TV award. John is sitting on the sofa looking down at his notebook as he talks.)

John: It's more common than people think. The tetanus is in the soil, people cut themselves on rose bushes, garden forks, that sort of thing. If left un...

(He looks up in surprise when Kenny - who has walked across the room unnoticed - now plonks heavily down onto the sofa beside him and stares at him intensely.)

John: ...treated ...

Kenny: I don't know what I'm going to do now.

John (a little nervously): Right.

Kenny: I mean, she's left me this place, which is lovely ...

(John looks around the living room with his eyes narrowed, apparently not agreeing how 'lovely' the place might be.)

Kenny: ... but it's not the same without her.

John (fidgeting as he tries to move further away from Kenny, but unable to do so): Th-that's why my paper wanted to get the, um, the full story straight from the horse's mouth. You sure it's not too soon?

Kenny: No.

John: Right.

Kenny (still staring intensely at him): You fire away.

(The cat meows and trots across the carpet. Watching it, John reaches up to rub the side of his nose. As he pulls his hand away again he suddenly realizes something and quickly raises his hand to his nose once more, pretending to rub it while he quietly sniffs at his fingers and looks towards the cat again. He smiles round nervously at Kenny.)

(221B. Mrs. Hudson has left the room but Sherlock and Lestrade are still standing in front of the wall display while Nikki continues to sleep. Sherlock's phone rings and he fishes it out of his jacket pocket, looks quickly at the Caller I.D. and then holds the phone to his ear.)

Sherlock: John.

John (over phone): Hi. Look, get over here quickly. I think I'm onto something. You'll need to pick up some stuff first. You got a pen?

Sherlock: I'll remember.

(Sherlock looks over to his mate as soon as he gets off the phone with John. He didn't want to wake her since this case has been draining for her and she needed to rest. Lestrade seemed to realize what Sherlock was thinking and spoke up.)

Lestrade: Go help John, Sherlock. I'll stay here with Nichole and keep an eye on her. I promise that I won't let anything or anyone hurt her.

(Sherlock looked at Lestrade before he nodded and left to get the items he was asked.)

(Sometime later, Kenny is primping in front of the mirror near the fireplace. Nearby, the entrance door shuts and, on the sofa, John puts down his teacup and starts to get up.)