Chapter 40: The Great Game: pt 10

***Recap***

(He heads into Lestrade's office. John purses his lips in frustration, then follows.)

***Now***

(Shortly afterwards, Sherlock is sitting at Lestrade's desk where a laptop has been opened to The Science of Deduction website. John and Lestrade are standing either side of him. Sherlock types into the message box:

Raoul de Santos, the house-boy, botox.)

(He sends the message and the pink phone on the desk beside the computer rings almost instantly. He picks it up and holds the phone to his ear.)

Sherlock: Hello?

Old Woman (in an anguished voice): Help me.

Nikki (clearly): Tell us where you are. Address.

Old Woman: He was so ... His voice ...

Sherlock (urgently): No, no, no, no. Tell me nothing about him. Nothing.

Old Woman: He sounded so ... soft.

(The laser point from the sniper's rifle moves onto the bomb

(The laser point from the sniper's rifle moves onto the bomb. A single shot fires and the phone instantly goes dead.)

Sherlock (into phone): Hello?

Lestrade (seeing the mate's expression): Sherlock? Nichole?

John: What's happened?

(Slowly, staring ahead of himself, Sherlock lowers the phone from his ear. He bites his lip as Lestrade - realising that something bad must have happened - straightens up and sighs. John braces a hand on the back of Sherlock's chair as Nikki places her hand on Sherlock's shoulder in comfort.)

(MORNING. 221B. Sherlock and John are sitting in their armchairs watching the news on the TV. Nikki sitting on the armrest of Sherlock's chair, his arm wrapped around her waist. Sherlock has the pink phone on the left arm of his chair. The windows are still broken and boarded up and the traffic is loud outside. On the TV, the picture shows a high-rise block of flats and the headline at the bottom of the screen reads, "12 dead in gas explosion." The picture moves to a close-up, showing a corner of the building many floors up which has been torn open and exposed to the air.)

(NEWS READER: The explosion, which ripped through several floors, killing twelve people ...)

John (briefly glancing over his shoulder to the mates): Old block of flats.