Chapter 42: The Great Game: pt 12

***Recap***

(Once outside the gallery and back into his clothes, Sherlock looks at his mate.)

Sherlock: Did you figure out how it's a fake?

Nikki (shaking her head): Like I said back at the river, it's been centuries since I last saw the original. I'd need more time to study it.

(Sherlock could feel the disappointment coming from his mate. Stopping in his tracks, Sherlock brought Nikki into a loving embrace, rubbing comforting circles on her back. Sherlock promised himself that once this case was over, he would help Nikki relax and spend time with her, maybe even complete the mating bond.)

***Now***

(WESTIE'S FLAT. John and Nikki, who he had asked to join him in talking to West's fiancée, are sitting on the sofa beside Andrew West's fiancée. They have been there long enough for her to have made them mugs of something which are on the coffee table in front of them. Lucy is upset throughout the ensuing conversation.)

Lucy: He wouldn't. He just wouldn't.

Nikki (gently): Well, stranger things have happened.

Lucy: Westie wasn't a traitor. It's a horrible thing to say!

John: I'm sorry, but you must understand that's ...

Lucy: That's what they think, isn't it, his bosses?

John (nodding): He was a young man, about to get married. He had debts ...

Lucy: Everyone's got debts; and Westie wouldn't wanna clear them by selling out his country.

Nikki: Can you, um, can you tell us exactly what happened that night?

Lucy: We were having a night in, just watching a DVD.

(She smiles at the memory and Nikki sees the love she has for her late fiancée. Nikki couldn't help but to think of her mate and how she would feel if he were to die. Nikki would turn off her humanity if she were to lose Sherlock.)

Lucy: He normally falls asleep, you know, but he sat through this one. He was quiet.

(She becomes tearful, causing Nikki to reach over and takes Lucy's hand in hers. Giving the human a sad smile while squeezing her hand in reassurance that who ever killed her fiancée wouldn't get away with it.)

Nikki (smiling at the human sadly): Take your time.

(Lucy nodded and returns the smile beg she continues.)

Lucy: Out of the blue, he said he just had to go and see someone.

John: And you've no idea who?

(Shaking her head, Lucy begins to cry.)

(Later, she opens the front door and shows John and Nikki out. A cycle courier walks along the pavement towards the house, wheeling his bicycle.)

Joe: Oh, hi, Luce. You okay, love?

Lucy: Yeah.

Joe: Who's this?