Chapter 18

I had to admit that I was getting used to Astéria being around me. Contrary to before when I would feel uncomfortable or agitated, I started feeling rather relaxed when she was around. I didn't really want to get used to her but I couldn't help it. For some reason she started being very nice to me and even if I thought that was really weird and did my best to stay on guard, she wasn't trying anything special. This was even weirder but she only greeted me and wished me a good day before going to her seat. Everyone noticed how strange her behavior was but asking her about it would be too weird.

Not daring to ask her, I asked my friends instead but they seemed to think that Astéria only wanted to become friends with me. Did Astéria ever get friends in the books? She only focused on Alastair and becoming his wife while the other students would all bully her. She never tried getting friends but now that she gave up on her plans of becoming queen, did she want to be my friend to gain something else? I was in a difficult position. I didn't know what she wanted from me by becoming friends and was scared that I would finish the same way as Alastair once she didn't need me anymore. It seemed I failed at not being noticed by her so should I make sure to always be useful? Or should I disappear one day to the other? Those were possible plans especially because I didn't plan on living as a princess all my life. Another one of my worries was that if I didn't want to become friends with her, she would get frustrated and take it out on me. Astéria was very patient but who knew how patient she really was?

I did ask Orange what I should do about this whole situation but she only told me to do whatever I wanted as usual. After multiple days of simple greetings from Astéria, I decided to talk to her. I took the initiative to greet her this time and waited for her in front of the classroom. She seemed really surprised by this and started blushing for some reason.

"Good morning, Astéria.

-Good morning! How are you today?

-I'm fine, thank you. What about you?

-I am suddenly feeling amazing.

-I am really happy to hear that. I had a question if you don't mind.

-Of course not. Go ahead.

-Would you like to eat with us today?"

Astéria frowned. I knew she never got integrated in a friend group before and I felt like it would be a good idea. I thought about what would happen to Orange if I did but for some reason I knew that Astéria wouldn't hurt her. Maybe I was dumb acting on a feeling but I couldn't do otherwise with Astéria. I had no idea what her plans were so I had to follow my gut. Even if Astéria did want to hurt Orange, I would protect her. I knew I could. If I was the one integrating her then I would have the upper hand in this relationship and that was vital.

"Us?

-My friends and I: Orange and Azore. They are really nice and we eat together every day."

Astéria seemed to hesitate for a second.

"I am really honored by the invitation and I would love to have a meal with you but maybe just the two of us for now. I wouldn't want to rush things."

I frowned:

"Why don't you want to eat with my friends?"

I knew Astéria wasn't shy. So what was her reason?

"I don't know them that well yet. I wouldn't want them to be uncomfortable."

She was lying. I thought Astéria was an amazing liar but this was obviously false. What was her problem with my friends? She didn't want to meet them. Why? I got really mad for some reason. Orange was an amazing person and anyone would be blessed to meet her. So how dared Astéria say she didn't want to? I got so upset that I didn't know what I was saying anymore: