Chapter Twenty: Higher, Further, Faster, More

Picture is "Captain Marvel Original art" by Artgerm on deviantart.com.

Music is "Unashamed" by Confidential Music Group.

All rights go to their rightful owners.

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"Higher, further, faster, more." ~Carol Danvers

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER TWENTY

"H-Hi," I squeak, stretching out my hand to hers.

Carol laughs, a lovely sound, and smiles at me. "Steve told me you would be nervous, but you seem to be more shocked to me. Didn't he tell you I was coming?"

"No, he didn't." I look behind her to Steve and glare at him. "Thanks for the heads up, Cap. It's not like she's my hero or anything."

Steve plays innocent. "Who, me? I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd care."

Carol rolls her eyes. "Yeah, thanks Steve." She turns back to me. "How about we get started on flying?"

"Sure, it's not like it's your specialty or anything," I chuckle, walking behind her as we make our way to the middle of the large room. Now, instead of equipment, there is a wide, open space with some sort of cushioning on the floor. Probably there to protect me if I falter.

Carol laughs and jumps onto the padded area, jumping up and down to get a feel for it. This is the Air Force pilot slash superheroine I've read about? Jumping on padded flooring?

"Good idea for the padding, Steve," she says. "Now, how about we get a feel of what you can do?"

I nod, closing my eyes and focusing on centering myself. "Fair warning, I've never taken off from the ground alone before."

"You used to jump from things, didn't you?"

I nod, my eyes still shut. "Yes. It's easier. I only just learned of this ability this week, so forgive me if I'm clumsy."

"Don't apologize," Carol says in a sweet tone. "We all have to begin somewhere."

I breathe in and out, silencing my thoughts and focusing on the task at hand: levitating. I start to bounce on the padding, getting some kinetic energy going around me. After about thirty seconds, I jump up and begin to hold my place a foot or so above the earth. My body tenses, all my muscles contracting at once. My mind is telling my body to not come back down. I spread my arms out beside me, trying to balance myself.

"Very good!" Carol cheers. "How long have you been able to hold it?"

"Longest time? A couple minutes. I jumped from my balcony to the next flo-"

"You did what?" Pietro cuts in from the sidelines.

I groan. "I was going to tell you... eventually."

"Eventually, oh, that is a comfort."

"Hush, Pietro," I groan, closing my eyes and trying to focus again. "It's hard enough as it is without you talking."

"Try to go a couple inches higher," Carol asks of me. "I'll help you if you need me."

I do as she asks, willing my body to push higher, further upwards. At around two feet off the ground, Carol hops up to join me, both of us levitating above the planet, defying gravity.

"How's this?" I ask, my hands trembling with the exercise.

"Very, very good, Glory. Drop back to the ground, take a minute of a break, and we'll try again."