Chapter 24:

____

I played with my fingers as I sat in the waiting room for a much-needed checkup. It had been quite some time since my last doctor's visit, and when Gloria heard about it, she wasted no time in scheduling my appointment. Since she had work, Rome offered to drive me, and I was relieved. I wanted to spend more and more time with him, and I had my suspicions as to why.

A nurse popped in the room holding a check board. She glanced down before looking at me. "Cody?"

I nodded, standing up and looking at Rome before following her into a separate part of the building.

We entered a room and she directed me to the cot. "The doctor will be right with you." She said with a kind smile.

I nodded in reply, forcing my own smile. I was sweating bullets. I was hoping I wouldn't need a shot, but knowing how long this appointment was overdue, I knew it would be coming at some point.

"Hey, calm down... It won't be that bad, if you even need a shot. It'll be quick. Just focus on me." Rome offered words of comfort, but I felt humiliated. I was acting like a child, and he was treating me like Julian.

"I know. I'm not scared." I lied, pursing my lips together. I could see Rome holding back a smile and I rolled my eyes. "I'm not scared about the shot! Just nervous." I was blabbering at this point, hoping it would make me look even a tad bit less pathetic, but I doubted it.

"Oh, I see. Well, just remember, I'm here."

More patronizing words.

"I said I'm fine!" I looked in the other direction, starting to wish Gloria could've taken me instead.

I heard a quick knock and instantly became nervous again. A doctor popped in and gave the two of us a big smile.

If I thought I was nervous then, I was anxious now.

__

"Owww...." I whined, my eyes staring down at the colorful bandaid on my arm.

"It stopped hurting the moment the needle came out! Honestly, I think you're just being dramatic." Rome's annoying face came into view. I rolled my eyes.

"No. It really hurts. My arm is sore." I tried to move it around. Yup. Definitely sore.

"Just buckle up you big baby. We can grab some fast food on the way back. My mom used to do that for me when I was younger."

I almost screamed in delight. "Fast food? Really?"

Rome seemed confused. "Yeah? Do you not like it?"

"No! I mean, It's been months, maybe even years since I last had it!"

I loved fast food. When I lived alone, I would eat it constantly. My brother prohibited anything like that. My caretaker always made my meals, but they were boring and healthy. Fast food tasted much better. Most of the time.

"What kind of food do you want? Burgers, burritos, chicken? Anything in particular you'd like?" He asked.

"No. I'm fine with anything, honestly. Burgers would be my go-to, though." I replied.

"Alright then, we'll stop by some burger place. Why haven't you gone recently?" Rome asked, focusing on the road.

"I don't know. I guess it slipped my mind. I also like your cooking, so I haven't really felt the need to."

Rome looked proud. As if this was the first time anyone had said it to him before.

"But fast food is nostalgic for me. It's like that time of my life where I finally felt freedom. Even if it's bad for my body, it's good for my mental-health." I blabbed, my smile uncontained. I glanced at Rome, feeling the need to catch his expression.