The Raven Girl- chapter 21

The kiss lingered on my lips longer than I would have liked. Even though we weren’t physically touching and Dante had left the room a while ago, I found myself running my fingers over my lips and thinking how surprised Dante had been when I had leaned forward for that briefest of moments. My heart beat flickered and I had to remind myself that kissing any handsome guy would have an effect on a girl’s heart rate. I couldn’t let my imagination run away and over analyse that moment, this wasn’t true love after all. In the back of my mind a little voice echoed a thought that I had been trying to put out my mind ever since I met Dante. He waited centuries for me never giving up… isn’t that true love? I shook my head firmly, I had to stop thinking like this Morgan needed my help and I had no idea how to escape the palace.

Servants came with a dress the seamstress had managed to salvage. The servants couldn’t take their eyes off my wings folded and bounded behind my back and I felt almost freak like the way they stared and whispered to each other. I put the pale blue dress on and was taken to the dining hall where Dante sat at end of the long table nursing a cup of blood. Beside him was a beautiful woman dressed in black and purple. “Ah, Ebony I have someone I would like you to meet.” Dante said standing behind this stranger and placing his hands on her shoulder.

“This is Catherina. She will be your new best friend, won’t you Kitty Kat?”

Catherina beamed when Dante called her by her nickname. She looked at me with sultry pale violet eyes and pretty doll like expression. She stood up an bowed, “The Prince has told me so much about you, I feel as if I know you already.” She said with a french accent. The warmth of her voice surprised me, she looked like an ice cold gothic princess out of a fairy story. I didn’t really think that she would have much depth of character but she walked over to me and I got a full on look at her and saw a procession of five black cats following her. She turned and clapped her hands and the cats fell into a line.

“These are my cats, Sophie, Toulouse, Flaubert, Louis, and Marie Antoinette.” She said.

All the cats eyed me up and down taking particular notice to my wings. A little bemused I waved awkwardly at the cats, “Um… hi cats.” As soon as I said it I realized how goofy that sounded it. Catherina smiled politely, “The Prince has given me the most honoured task of becoming your lady in waiting.”

“Really?” I said glancing at Dante.

“I shall hope to perform the task to the best of my abilities.” She said.

“Thank you.” I said feeling a little uncomfortable with all this formality.

Dante sat back down and said, “I thought Catherina could take you to have tea in the summer room with all the other ladies.”

“Okay.” I said noticing Catherina beaming at me.

Catherina took my arm and smiled, “We shall have such fun!”

Dante waved bye-bye and Catherina led me away. This was not how I planned my evening. I needed to break free and escape, not sit about drinking tea with a group of vampires and five really obedient cats. Catherina chatted pleasantly to me and I tried to pay attention but felt myself slipping away either to the kiss or to Morgan. Catherina voice droned through my ears and I nodded and agreed on cue.

“Prince Dante is so glad that you have returned, we all so glad you have returned.” Catherina said, “My brother thought you would never return home but I knew he was wrong. Did you ever meet my brother, he and the King are quite close. His name is Henry.”

The question caught me off guard and I stopped, “Henry, as in London accent, wears jeans Henry.” I said.

Catherina nodded. “You do know him! How wonderful, how is he?”

Dead for all I care! I wanted to say after that bastard left me in the snow to die. Forcing a smile I replied, “He seemed well.”

“Good, I worry about him so much. He rarely sees me nowadays.” She said sadly but then perked up again when we arrived at the summer room. A servant was already there waiting with the door held open. Catherina rushed ahead of me to the door entrance and jabbed the servant who quickly announced, “The honourable Lady Catherina Dampierre!” Catherina hurried into the room and there was the scrapping of a dozen chairs against the floor as they all rose. “Her royal highness Princess Ebony.” Catherina said waving me in. Numbly I walked into the brightly decorated room and was greeted with a cold formal bow of a group of ladies- except for one girl in a orange red dress who was looking at me with an expression of digust.

“Dante can’t expect us to sit here with her!” She said.

Catherina froze, “Romala!” she hissed.

“No. I shall not endure this.” Romala yelled getting up and pushing past Catherina and me.

Puzzled I ran after her, “Wait, what have I done?” I asked.

Romala paused not even looking at me, “I’m sorry you higness, I don’t think we’ll ever be friends in the true sense of the word.”

She turned revealing red eyes that were watering up. I stood completely stunned to the spot, I had no idea what I had done to upset her- I mean I had just met the girl moments ago.

“I don’t understand.” I said unable to hide my confusion.

“Well that’s very convenient for you. Let’s hope it stays that way and you never know the misery and pain you have inflicted on the people of this castle and this world.” She said staring right into my eyes. The hate and anger radiated from her like a black penetrating aura. I didn’t know what to say. Romala took a deep breath and cordially bowed, “Forgive me.” She said in a strained voice before abruptly turning and walking away.

Oh God- what had I done to these people?

Catherina caught up with and took my arm. “Ignore her, she thinks because she is the last of her family she has an exalted status.” She said.

“What do you mean the last of her family?” I said.

“They were all killed in the early years of the war.” Catherina replied.