Epilogue

Harper

Four years later.

I stand looking out at my husband and children playing in the pool. Matteo and Gabriel are teaching Mirabella how to swim, but she isn't having any of it. I can't help but smile at the way her stubborn, hazel eyes frown at her father.

She signs the words no before splashing Gabriel in the face. Gabriel has been teaching her sign language. She only knows a little, but that doesn't stop her from trying.

The kids are so close it makes my heart swell. Gabriel hasn't let his disability define him in any way. He's one of the smartest little boys I know.

"Tea is ready, don't run; otherwise, you'll slip," I say as I sign the words as well. Matteo helps the kids out of the pool as they run straight for the kitchen. I shake my head, waiting for one of them to hurt themselves.

"This looks delicious, but I must rather have something else." I roll my blue eyes as I stare at my handsome husband. In the four years that have gone by, he's gotten hornier by bloody age.

"Don't even think about it; this baby in here is killing me. I swear if you stick your dick anywhere near me, you'll bring me into early labor." I glare at him as he rubs my round stomach. I'm 32 weeks pregnant but feel so much further along.

We found out I was pregnant while on holiday with Enzo and Bianca and their twin girls. To say it was a shock was an understatement. Matteo jumped for joy whilst I cried.

I was happy but not ready to have another one. I was on the pill, but as it says on the box not 100% accurate. I had only just started my clothing line, but after the shock had worn off, all I felt for this baby was love.

We didn't find out the sex of the baby this time. We wanted it to be a surprise. Gabriel thinks it's a boy, and Mirabella says it has got to be a girl; otherwise, she's moving in with Enzo and Bianca, but we all know she will love whatever it is, no matter what.

"It wouldn't be too bad if the baby came now; you're in the safe stage of your pregnancy anyway." I bite my lip as tears well in my eyes. Matteo looks at me in confusion.

"What's wrong, Angel?" I take a deep breath, trying not to show my emotions, as the kids will get upset too. They always do when they see me sad.

"I want our baby to come on my grandfather's birthday. That way, it's like a little part of him is still with me. My due date is six days after his birthday. So I'm praying that if there's an afterlife, he's looking down on me and will grant me this wish. I sound stupid, don't I?" A tear falls as Matteo catches it and wipes it away.

My grandfather died peacefully two months after walking me down the aisle. He didn't let anyone know how bad his cancer got. We knew the time was going to come at some point but not that fast.

It happened when we were in Mexico; I found him in bed with a photo of my grandmother and mother. He never got to make up for his sins with my mother, and I think they hunted him until the day he died.

He did leave a long letter to my mother, expressing how sorry he was. The pain in my mum's eyes when I gave it to her still hurts to this day, but she wasn't ready to hear it from him at the time he tried to speak to her, and she will have to live with that for the rest of her life knowing they both never got the closures they both wanted so badly, the thing with trauma recovery is you have to take it at little stages her past was filled with heartache from such a young age, she's now been a lot better and coming out of her shell.