20

"BAD NEWS, MY FRIEND," Klaus turned Derek to face him, "end of the road for you." With that, his hybrid face appeared and he bit into the human's neck, killing him.

A girl stared at Klaus with anger visible on her features. The hybrid tilted his head to the side with a smirk at his lips, "careful, love. There's only one alpha here."

The girl, however didn't stop or back away. She kept staring at Klaus with blood filled on her face as her body shivered which made Klaus frown as he looked at the others to find them in similar conditions. They were all moving around like zombies, coming in his direction.

"Bloody hell," he muttered while his eyes were quick to snap to Emery who was still sitting on the rock as she played with her bracelets, seeming to be deep in thoughts and completely unaware of what was going on around her.

Klaus vamp-sped towards her, "Emery, love, we have a problem."

"I told—" she was interrupted by the dirty blonde who shook his head, breathing out a frustrated sigh, "— don't say it."

She said nothing in response and stood up beside him, her eyes taking in the faces of the feral hybrids who were all now growling at them, staring at Klaus and Emery as if they were their food as they slowly walked towards them, stumbling every now and then.

And then it was like a flip switched in their bodies. They all began charging at the two. Klaus did not let them get past him though, he was quick to react, snapping their necks and ripping out their hearts. They barely even got to touch him. Emery made sure to stand right behind him to avoid getting hurt or worse.

However, she wasn't paying attention behind her. Just as Klaus was done getting rid of what he thought was the last one, he heard a small scream behind him which had him snap his head in the witch's direction to find her on the ground with one on top of her, biting into her neck.

It all happened so quick. Before Klaus could react, Emery used her powers to shove the werewolf off her, sending him crashing into a tree. She kept him pinned there and snapped his neck with a flick of her wrist, feeling her body being drained of energy.

Her hand reached out to her neck where she felt the blood and the pain coming from making her wince. Biting her tongue, she closed her eyes and placed her palm over the bite only to remove it a second later, having healed it.

"Are you all right?" Klaus finally spoke, deciding to break the silence.

Emery looked at him, her face visibly paler than before which had him frown. "I'm fine," she replied, "are you—" she took a step forward only to feel her legs give out, "— shit."

Just as she thought she was about to hit the ground, she felt a pair of arms wrapping themselves around her waist, holding her tightly. Her hands were quick to grasp the nearest thing she could find which was Klaus's shirt.

She hated that she felt safe in his arms. She knew she shouldn't but she couldn't help herself. Klaus's eyes met hers and they just stood there, his arms around her and her hands fisting his shirt as they stared at each other. However, their moment was interrupted when she felt a sharp familiar pain in her head which made her squeeze her eyes shut, gripping his shirt harder.

"What happened?" Klaus's voice filled her ears but it was accompanied by a ringing sound. Whilst still holding his shirt, she tried to stand on her two legs but felt her knees shake slightly. "You don't look fine."

"Yeah, no shi— fuck," her words were cut off with a pained groan that had her drop her forehead to lean against his chest. Klaus was taken aback by the action but didn't question it, knowing something was not right.

He kept his arms around her to hold her as he feared if he let go, she might fall. "Emery?"

When he received no response, he looked down at her although he could only see her head and not her face since it was resting against him. "Emery?" He tried once more but she kept hiding her face against him. "Look at me, love. Come on," he placed a finger under her chin to lift her head so he could look at her face. His eyes widened when he finally did.

Her eyes were barely opened and her face was even paler than before. Blood was dripping from her nose and lips. He was surprised how she was still standing. "What happened to you?" He asked in shock, taking in her appearance.

"I'm tired," she breathed out, a cough leaving her which made her turn her head to the side, blood falling out of her mouth as she coughed, her body bending instinctively. However, she couldn't hold in her own weight and ended up falling on her knees, making sure to keep her face towards the ground so the blood would only fall there.

"Hey," Klaus rushed towards her, kneeling down beside her before he wrapped his arms around her shoulders, worry and dread filling him almost instantly. He would be lying if he said that he hadn't grown to like the girl in those two months that he's been with her. Unsure of what to do, he held her hair back while she coughed and allowed the red substance to leave her mouth if she was puking.

It went on for a good ten minutes until she had finally stopped and relaxed in his hold, allowing her body to fall back so her head was on his shoulders while they both sat on the ground. She felt weak and exhausted. She knew it was getting worse.

It was only a matter of time.