Rengoku x Reader

Thanks @ItsKaiden for the request!
——————————————————————

A small smile spread across my face as I made my way down the street of the village.  Colors and sounds clouded my senses in the best way at every turn.  It filled me with the same feeling as walking on air and it only heightened when I remembered who was meeting me here. 

The village was well known for its shopping vendors which made it the ideal spot for an evening spent with the flame hashira.  It was no secret that I had a decent amount of wealth, though all I wanted to do with that money was spoil Rengoku with it.  All of my thoughts and intentions seemed to be revolving around him lately actually.  Maybe I was coming down with a cold even as my body warmed around him.  My smile widened as I turned a corner only to be hit on my shoulder. 

"Watch where you're going bastard," a familiar voice hissed.  My mood instantly dampened as I stared at the white haired male that had rammed against me.  He had his usual scowl and irritated expression.  My blood began to boil as his frown shifted into a smirk.  "Oh, it's you.  I thought I recognized your suffocating presence." 

"I couldn't hear you over your ego," I shot back as a fake smile twitched onto my face.  I absolutely despised Sanemi and the way he ruined whatever mood I found myself in.  If he was near, there was a chance that I'd end up going off, I could already feel my body shaking. 

"Well you know what they say about guys with big egos," he smirked as his chest swelled with pride.  He was childish and didn't seem to notice the trap he had set for himself.  His brashness would surely be his downfall. 

"That they have to compensate for what they lack somewhere else," I mused with a taunting grin.  I could practically hear his teeth grinding as he took a step closer to me with his fist already rising.  I wasn't one to back down, my hands coming up to prepare for a hit of my own as my anger surged into sudden strength. 

"There you are!"  My back straightened instantly at the boisterous tone of my expected company.  Sanemi scowled yet again, not turning around to see who had joined us but knowing he couldn't stay much longer because of it.  A victorious smile spread across my face as I leaned in for the final time. 

"Get lost asshole," I whispered.  He narrowed his eyes but didn't so much as mutter a word as he left, his bitterness following him.  Rengoku stood a few steps away with his usual wide grin and confident stance.  It was clear he hadn't known the violent tension that had been simmering between Sanemi and I only a moment before.  It was going to stay that way. 

"Rengoku!  I've been waiting," I cheerily called out, sprinting to him as my mood lifted again.  His burning eyes were bright as he looped his arm through mine.  My face warmed immediately at the contact but I didn't pull away.  Rengoku let out a small chuckle that made my heart flutter. 

"I hope I didn't take too long.  I wasn't sure where you were and ended up losing my way," he stated with his booming voice.  He truly was amazing and it showed in everything he did and said.  My other hand came to settle over his arm entwined with mine, patting it gently as I guided us down the street. 

"How about some food?  My treat," I offered.  Rengoku practically shivered as he perked up.  It was a clear yes as I chuckled.  If food was the way into his heart then I'd buy him every meal in the world.

~~~

It was late at night about a week after our shopping trip that I realized what I had to do.  Sitting to the side with these swirls of emotions wasn't going to get me anywhere if I hoped to gain the flame hashira's heart.  I needed to know whether he felt the same affection I held for him even if I had to walk out late at night to find him. 

Shinobu had mentioned Rengoku going to a nearby town after an incident was reported of a demon and so I was quick to head in that direction.  I didn't worry about the flame hashira considering his strength but it wouldn't hurt to check on him.  I also didn't want to wait any longer to confess how I felt. 

The walk was quick and gave me too much time to overthink as I worried over every possible scenario including some as small as having an audience to some scenarios as heartbreaking as him not returning my feelings.  A prediction I hadn't thought of was finding Rengoku being screamed at though. 

As I walked a bit closer to the entrance of the town, I heard desperate yelling and decided to follow the sound out of curiosity.  I hadn't expected to find my beloved hashira on the other end of the abuse but sure enough there was an older man hunched over and screaming obscenities at the top of his lungs.  The sight that really made my blood boil though was seeing Rengoku with an uncharacteristic frown and small tears at the corners of his eyes as he stayed quiet. 

"You should've been here earlier!  You could've saved her, you bastard!  She's dead because of you!" the old man screamed and cried.  Rengoku winced with each venom laced word as I felt my breathing quicken.  My temper wasn't something to mess with but as much as I tried to tamp it down, it was already too late.  "You're just as much a monster as that demon!" 

The man's hand lifted as my final straw snapped.  Storming over, I put myself between Rengoku and the stranger before he could hit him.  My hand gripped the man's wrist that had threatened to hurt Rengoku, squeezing it harshly as I trembled. 

"I suggest backing up before I snap your bones," I growled lowly.  I faintly heard Rengoku inhale sharply behind me but my focus was caught on the widening of the stranger's eyes.  He could tell I would honor my threat.  He let out a sob, collapsing onto the dirt as I released his hand.  He would be too overcome by grief to strike Rengoku anytime soon. 

I didn't waste a moment, turning around and gently grabbing the flame hashira's hand as I pulled him behind me, away from the sobbing old man.  Taking deep breaths, I maintained my usual state without resorting to too much violence.  Maybe Sanemi has been helping me by pissing me off so much that this felt like nothing. 

A sharp pull on my arm alerted me that Rengoku had stopped and so I paused as well.  Silence drowned out all sounds, trapping the flame hashira and I in our own space.  He still had a small frown as I began to wonder if he was angry with me for being harsh with the old man. 

"Thank you," he whispered.  I was shocked by his words but even more surprised as he pulled me in to press a kiss against my lips.  As if I've done it my whole life, I melted into the contact as my hands rested in his hair.  Savoring the feeling of his lips on mine, it was all too soon when he pulled away. 

"I think you should thank me again," I sighed dreamily.  He chuckled softly, his smile returning as his hands gently cradled my face.  He pulled me close again and this time I felt the fire erupt in my chest.  Nothing felt brighter than having him in my arms.